Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

catalog blank descriptions...what do they mean?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

alright guys, i've got a pretty simple question for you experienced guys. i've been flipping thru some of the catalogs that i've received over the past few months, and i see all kinds of descriptions for rod blanks. now, i know that the fish can't tell the difference, but what is the difference?

for example, i'll use some from lamiglas. i see that they describe rods as steelhead, salmon, live bait, pitching, popping, bass, and my favorite, mooching. what is the difference? is there any place on the web that describes the different actions, etc. of these blanks?

thanks guys.

I'll guess:

steelhead - long rods 7 1/2 - 10' with very light tips, flex the full length of the blank, similar to a fly rod. Some of these blanks made good light plugging/plastic rods from the beach (I guess)

salmon - no idea

live bait - these blanks, for the most part have a moderate action, with soft tips. Their intended use is...live bait. These rods are supposed to allow a bait to swim around and not get tired by a rod with a stiff tip, and on teh cast teh rod will flex and soft;y hurl the bait, rather than with a fast action rod where the bait would be hurled at a much faster speed and KO'd when it lands on the water.

pitching - Stiff butt section, with a nice tip action. Check the ratings on these blanks, they make perfect FLuking rods. Intended use is FW Bass, flipping into stick sitations - the tip will be rated to toss a certain weight, when you hook up with a fish, or weeds, teh butt section of teh rod will go into action to pull whatever towards your boat.

popping - light rods designed for Florida guys popping Tarpon, Snook, and Reds. I find most of these rods to be too light in teh butt section, but I haven't pulled on enough to give a definitive answer.

bass - standard FW rod, good for all around FW apps for a certain lure range.

mooching - I forget what Mooching actually is, but it might have something to do with drifting a bait behind a boat with a lot of weight, cross current, etc. Most have very soft tips, and a parabloic action. Blanks do have a lot of power, the more you pull, the more they bend.

That's my best guess. I may be completely wrong, but that's what I think of when I see these classifications.

Billy and Mike, thanks for the replies. I knew that I could count on getting some answers. I will check rodbuilders.org. I read their postings, but I always forget about the glossary and photo pages.