Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigLuke

Anyone use Alvey Reels???

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I couldn't find a non-commercial link...but has anyone ever used ALVEY REELS made in Australia...in any case I hear they cast a mile...you can do a search on Google and check them out...they're very cool.

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I will go fishing"---Henry David Thoreau

Member #1666

[This message has been edited by BigLuke (edited 08-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BigLuke (edited 08-22-2002).]

I have used them for 16 years and they are great reels... no gears to ruin... fears no sand or wave.... brutal cranking power cause its basically a winch.... you can use 50 lb test and still cast 80 yards with it! You can keep over 500 yards of 40 pound test on the spool!!!!!!!

The only drawback "had" been that due to the design of the reel it "used to" create severe line twisting... but thats "over" now since the invention of the ball bearing swivel.. the "secret" is to use 2 ball bearing swivels in tandem in you leader.. this solves the problem...

These reels never really caught on in America and thats a shame cause they do have their own unique nitche...

I use them for "BIG FISH" employing the balloon drifting technique on the out going tides at inlet jetties....

You can get a big bait drifting out in the tide below a ballon and watch it go out 300 yards!!!!!! Ive caught huge sharks (drifting whole chicken stuffed with bunker) and good sized baby tuna...

I got two Alley reels the 7000C and the new 6500 multiplier... they are very cool reels.. I love mine... but I got to admit when it come down to pure distance casting the Breakaway rods and penn 525 mags and ABU 6500 mags have taken the leadership.

But the Alvey is a serious tool and a fun reel that will always have its place. It is a valid piece of gear...

Question for AJ-

How do you position your hand when casting the Alvey? I can't find a comfortable way to hold the line and get good firm casting grip. My right (line holding) hand ends up all scrunched up under the rotated reel.

Thanks.

alby (not Alvey)

All my alveys are "left handed models" its just easier for me as a convert from spin fishing....

Casting an alvet is "easy" but as you get better then yoy atart getting "pro" at it and make up new stuff....

Thew Alvey is a great fun real that is a legitimate piece of fishing hardware.

Alvey takes alot of knocks and keeps on fishing.... I love my alveys... I've put some "HUGE" fish on the beach with those reels.

I do not have one but have read about them. It is an interesting design very forgiving of sand, water, etc. The one I saw were mounted on special rods ... as I remember it athe very end of the butt. Given their enormous spool size i would anticipate that the rod guides, especially the first guide would be gigantic to accomodate the line stripping off the enormous spool. Please tell us your experiences . How far does she throw when going for record tournament distance?

I do not have one but have read about them. It is an interesting design very forgiving of sand, water, etc. The one I saw were mounted on special rods ... as I remember it athe very end of the butt. Given their enormous spool size i would anticipate that the rod guides, especially the first guide would be gigantic to accomodate the line stripping off the enormous spool. Please tell us your experiences . How far does she throw when going for record tournament distance?

I was wrong, the alvey rods DO NOT have gigantic diameter guides. The way a rod set up for an alvey reel accomodates the enormous reel spool diameter is by locating the first guide at the midpoint of the rods length. As the line strips off of the spool its movement will create a long tapered conical form. Since the first guide is halfway up the rod the cone diameter at the point of entry to the first guide is not too large to create line slap, line friction , etc. to an excessive degree which would cut down cast distance. From what I have read a rod for an alvey has to be set up for an alvey. So Luke that's the way it is. Give us a report.

I have one mounted on an 11' Yellow Lami

Here's my post from another, older thread:

--------------------------------------

07-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Sudsy

Quote:

Originally Posted by killie

Sounds like you ran into Sudsy.

Nope, not me. I haven't played with my Alvey setup since early May.

I put my 600C5 on an 11' Honey Lami and the outfit is a beast! I could winch in an engine block with it - then I could cast it back out

On the negative side it's not a braid friendly reel and the combination of mono and a fiberglass rod has an extremely mushy feeling to it especially after using braid and graphite almost exclusively for the past 4 or 5 years.

It's a toy, a fun toy but it won't be taking the place of any of my regular gear.

I just took a look at them. Looks like a Fly reel. I would like to see one in action.

I'm intrigued in how you cast it. I can see using a balloon method becasue it looks like a glorified line keeper?cwm13.gif

Yes Guys...I have used Alvey Reels for the past 3 Years and have collection of 6 Alvey Surf Reels. It takes a little pactice, but once you master you will love it. It's simple concept that's been around since 1920's ( Center Pin Reel) and take any abuse you can muster. I have caught stripers, bluefish and sharks with my reels and they keep on ticking like a Timex. Simple maintenance and light oil and they work forever. Since the early 60's the Alvey Reels were some what heavy, but today's technology and design contruction its allot lighter and well balanced with the Alvey Rod or a custom rod. I have been fishing for 25+ years with many Penns and assortment of different manfactures, but the Alvey is only reel that I found to be fun to use and durable, even when I accidentlly dropped it in the sand and rinsed it in the ocean..... and continue to fish with no problems. Then I realized the value of the real and ability handle worse conditions any given day. Now I have fisherman coming by on the beach asking me to demonstrate the reel. If you have more questions, I will be glad to answer them. Fishguy

They make one specifically for bottom fishing, it doesn't have the option to turn it sideways and cast, you just drop straight down. I'd think it would be virtually indestructible and have a ton of cranking power.

Yes Guys...I have used Alvey Reels for the past 3 Years and have collection of 6 Alvey Surf Reels. It takes a little pactice, but once you master you will love it. It's simple concept that's been around since 1920's ( Center Pin Reel) and take any abuse you can muster. I have caught stripers, bluefish and sharks with my reels and they keep on ticking like a Timex. Simple maintenance and light oil and they work forever. Since the early 60's the Alvey Reels were some what heavy, but today's technology and design contruction its allot lighter and well balanced with the Alvey Rod or a custom rod. I have been fishing for 25+ years with many Penns and assortment of different manfactures, but the Alvey is only reel that I found to be fun to use and durable, even when I accidentlly dropped it in the sand and rinsed it in the ocean..... and continue to fish with no problems. Then I realized the value of the real and ability handle worse conditions any given day. Now I have fisherman coming by on the beach asking me to demonstrate the reel. If you have more questions, I will be glad to answer them. Fishguy

Thanks for such a detailed,substantive report. LICHUM

Susdy is correct about bottom fishing and they have all types reels for all different applications. Just got to find your reel that matches your type fishing. Check out the website Alveyusa.com and you will see. The gentleman that sells Alvey Reels is named Gene and he will be glad to send you DVD on Alvey Reels if your interested. smile.gif