Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dick

Looking for the perfect rod. :)

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I have decided to purchase a convensional setup for plugging and jigging for Striper, blues etc. Probably toss no more than 2oz.

Reel would probably be a Ambassador or Penn 965. Any other suggestions welcome.

Looking for a lighter action rod in the 7' range. Don't want to skimp on anything. Plan on using this for a while.

Any help would be appreciated. I have never tried a conventional reel, but do want to try it out.

I'm 5'4" about 175lbs. Looking to use this rod for inlet fishing and possibly for some boat and kayak fishing.

Thanks,

Jon

[This message has been edited by Dick (edited 01-03-2002).]

Just found a Penn 965 with a 7' St. Croix # pc70mhf . How is this rod? What is it rated to? What would you expect to pay for a combo like this? Thanks again.

Dick

Not sure about the combo price. The Penn 965 goes between $175 and $200, and IMO a better choice for the same price range is a Shimano Calcutta 400.

I'm not familiar with that St Croix model---from the product code, I'd guess it's in their "Premier Graphite" series. A better choice among the St Croix line-up would probably be one of their "Tidemaster" series rods. They sell for about $130.

Welll..... I'd stay away from the Penn 965. Get an Ambassaduer 6500 or 5500 size. A BG6500CL is a nice reel.

The rod St Croix will probably just make it at 2 OZ. Very nice at 1 though. If I were you , I'd be looking at an 8 Foot GSH961MT and trim the tip just a little for the 2 OZ max you mentioned (maybe 2 inches ? ). You can take a little from the butt too. You can get down to 7 feet (big bitt trim ) but I wouldn't. 7 feet is pretty short for shore fishing IMO. This rod is very light at 8 feet. I'm sure you could handle it.

Batson also makes an E glass rod called a 70EMH. I think that would be perfect for what you have mentioned and inexpensive. I built one for Smokey on the 70 EM and it had a very nice feel. The EMH is rated just a litte higher. I think these E glass blanks would be very nice with a light braid. I believe Smokey is putting 20 LB spiderwire on his.

Will be interesting to hear Al's opinion on this.

BTW , both the Calcutta 400 Ditch mentioned and the Calcutta 250 would be nice on a small rod. With braid , the 250 is big enough. I have a St Croix 70MH that i just finished and its nice. I have a Calcutta 250 on it but its aimed at jigs about 1 OZ or so.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 01-03-2002).]

My ideal set up for conventional plugging up to two ounces is a Calcutta 400 with 20 lb braid or mono mounted on any of the following blanks:

Lami GLB901M = 7.5 foot graphite

Lami CMB963M - 8 foot composite

Calstar GX8 - 8 foot composite

Al

Saltheart,

Whats wrong with the Penn 965? I have got great reviews from people on this reel. I've also gotten good and bad reviews on Calcuttas. Haven't heard anything bad about the Abus. Is there any other reel I should be looking at? Thanks again.

Dick

Dick,

I have an arsenal of Calcutta 400 and 400S reels. Can't say enough good things about them. Like any top performing reel, they require a certain level of preventive maintenance and care to keep them in optimum working order.

I have heard both good and bad about the Penn 975 and 965 reels. Alot of people swear by them.

Al

People I know who tried the 965 ditched it the following season. I didn't like the feel of it at all when it came out. People I know who use the 975 like it. I haven't met anyone who tried a BG6500CL and didn't like it. I think the Calcuttas are pretty nice if you have the dough. You can get some decent prices on the Calcuttas now.