Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WoodyCT

New Stormr Surf Top- What's the word ?

Rate this topic

281 posts in this topic

That was my concern. Who wants stuff stored in the belly while surf fishing? Seems like it would get in the way.. I have a kokatat jacket with pockets on both arms.. Does a nice job, plus it's high and dry

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazzyone View Post

Used the top for the first time last night. So far so good. I like the top and although I had concerns about the wrist gaskets, they are in fact water tight. Suggestions would be to make the hood so that it can be stowed away. Make the flap on the front pocket a little bit larger and have better velcro along the entire section of the pocket flap, I see a potential for water getting in too fast and the drain holes are too small. The small pocket flap is also difficult to open and close properly with gloves on. I would also like a small pocket on one of the arms, I dont really like holding items in my belly section. A water tight pocket would also be nice. The top is light, warm and really gives freedom of motion like no other top Ive used.

Used mine last night for the first time as well.  I echo these comments, spot on.  If not a small pocket on an arm, then up hirer on the chest (a small watertight pocket in the front pocket would be ideal too).  Overall, very happy with the top.

I was going back and forth in my head on which one to get.  After trying on the surf top, I got it.  The M was a bit too small for me.  couldnt get my hands threw the wrist gaskets.  However the L fits me perfect,  the wrists seals seem to be just as tight as latex seals and alot more comfortable.  The waist seal is also very nice and is what led to me pulling the trigger on getting it.  Its very warm and the hoodie like handwarmer pocket is what I've always wanted in a surf top.  I will definitely be putting it to the test this weekend. 

ryan is there any difference between the stryker and the stealth real tree jacket? i like that camo but in the description it talks about it being designed for hunting? will it also be good for LATE fall surfcasting?

I bought one last Monday and put it through the paces that night.

I fished a bar where you're wading from waist deep to just over waist deep. It's a spot where I'd -always- get soaked in my Grundens Sund.

Well, I stayed completely bone dry in the Stormr surf top.

The inner neoprene cuffs do excellent job of keeping water out, but are comfortable at the same time.

I went on to use it all of this past week, including Halloween night when it blew a steady 25 knots here with gusts to 30 and the Stormr performed flawlessly.

It's light weight and comfortable, while at the same time warm and protective. Not to mention, it didn't get too warm on the mile plus one way hike to one of my spots.

I'm not sure if that will hold true in July and August, but it's about perfect for this time of year, which is what I bought it for.

I was impressed when I saw it in the shop, and I've become further impressed with subsequent use.

As to the sizing, I'm 5'11" and 187 lbs, and I went with the large. I found the fit to be very true to size.

Time will tell if the top holds up, but so far, I have no reason to doubt it will.

i have one - i love it. used it for first time friday night. it kept me dry, warm, and comfortable. love that it is a more snug fit - makes casting, etc that much more comfortable. the neoprene wrist cuffs are awesome.

heres my option after trying it on.. Havent fished with it so take it FWIW.

BAD

the sleeves are to short. the the "outer" shell should go a little past the neo cuff. these don't causing the the sleeves to pull up.

The neck gasket doesnt get to tight. not enough velcro.

The waist velcro is to low. it should be up higher on the abdomen.

the jacket itself is cut long, which is good but it doesnt make a good seal.. look at most kayak tops.. there short and there is an inner shell that goes a little longer on the inside

Good

Sweet material, warm, the cuffs feel good but im sure they will seep water.

Thank you to everyone who has purchased the Surf Top in the last 2 weeks and happy to hear that everyone is enjoying the tops. We've gotten a ton of good feedback from guys who have been out fishing in them.

Know that all of the suggestions haven't fallen on deaf ears. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckwild View Post

ryan is there any difference between the stryker and the stealth real tree jacket? i like that camo but in the description it talks about it being designed for hunting? will it also be good for LATE fall surfcasting?

There are a good number of differences in the STEALTH and STRYKR lines... The Stealth is designed for waterfowl hunters,  the pocket placement, pocket closures (magnets), overall number of pockets, silicon grip on the shoulders, placement of the Duratex material, etc. I don't see why you couldnt wear it in the surf though, as it IS similar to a STRYKR in most other ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3dr View Post

Could you post some photos?

are you looking for photos of anything specific? The ones posted earlier in the thread are of the samples, but the end product is almost identical with two small changes. If you want to see anything specific just say the word.

Have one and love it!

Only thing that stinks with these, my surf bag sticks to the neoprene big time, which makes it difficult to wing bag to my front.

you can save some serious coin and pick up a Hyperflex Playa