Loose graphite ferrule

Rate this topic

ipscmaster

I have a Lamiglas graphite 11 ft. rod blank,rated for 1-4 oz. that I have had for many years and just now started to build. After almost completing the rod,I noticed that the male ferrule has a small wobble when inserted into the female.The wobble is noticeable when trying to cast. Is there any way to repair this ,or will I need to make this into a one piece rod ? I would like to keep it a 2 piece if possible. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This blank is too old to return to the Mfg.

It's loose with the ferrule fully seated?

Is the ferrule tip over butt or a spiggot style?

Spiggot looks like a pin inserted into one end of a blank and the blank looks like it was cut in half (it was) so there is no step on the outside joint.

A loose ferrule typically translates into a break or a cast off tip section. frown.gif

Proud to be a NERB and I have the shirts to prove it!!

The female ferrule is over the butt. It is an enlarged hole in the butt section and the male (tip section) slides into the hole.There is no post.I can not find a crack or anything broken. I think it may have been mis-fit at the factory.First time I have dealt with a bad ferrule on a graphite rod.

Sounds like a typical tip over butt ferrule, which is wht Lami uses on their graphites that I have seen.

Sounds like a poorly fitted ferrule. Have you tried gently twisting while seating it? Just wondering if a bit of extra effort might help, but you don't want to really mash it too tight. Look in the female with a good light and see if there is a blemish in the tube that might impede proper seating.

If so, you might be able to smooth it out it with an oval needle file. If not, you might need to take it to a good shop and see what they think. Lami might replace it since it sounds like a manufac. defect.

Good luck. icon14.gif

Rubbing wax on a ferrule doesnt tighten it up, but it will collect dirt and wear the ferrule.

I'm sorry to say it's a bit of a wives tale.

If the fit is poor, it's a bad fit period. frown.gif

The fit needs to be corrected, or the blank needs replacing.

Bummer.