Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishalicious

How to cut nice taper on replacement tubes

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Anyone have a technique to share on getting a nice clean taper on rubber tubing used to replace tubes on diamond jigs? I can't seem to get it right.

Thanks.

Put one side on the corner of a table....stretch it out...take a razor blade and push down on the other side at an angle. Done. should have your cut nice and smooth. Cut and trim from the bottom to fit the O'Shaughnessy hook.

Put one side on the corner of a table....stretch it out...take a razor blade and push down on the other side at an angle. Done. should have your cut nice and smooth. Cut and trim from the bottom to fit the O'Shaughnessy hook.
Not quite following what you're describing, friend. Am I looping the tube over or around the corner? Where do make the cut relative to the corner? I figured there was some stretching involved. Thanks!

Do the fish care?
Good point. However, I want the tube to extend slightly past the bend and the only way to do that is to get that long, shallow angle on the cut. This I can't seem to get, at least on my initial attempts. Will have to consult shop where I buy my jigs.

I like to cut the end of my surge tube so that it ends up with two points. I use scissors and make a pair of V shaped cuts on opposite sides of the tube. I have a tough time getting it to comes out clean, however.