Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Bald Head

blue Blanks/Forecoast Blanks?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I'm building a fly rod for my wife heart.gif (a 4-wt for bluegilling), who has requested a BLUE fly rod blank. Loomis GL3 is one possibility, but a little expensive. forecoast makes a blue blank, but I know NOTHING about those rods. Has anybody had any experience with these blanks? What is the action like?

Can you recommend any other BLUE fly rod blanks?

Also, does anybody know a source for a small decal of bluegill for the rod?

thanks! HappyWave.gif

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com

Instead of a blue blank how about metallic electric blue wraps with metallic gold trim. Then a machined fly seat with a matching blue colored wood inlay reelseat. That would look sharp.

Can't help with the decal though.

Bald,

I hear great things about the value in those Forecast blanks. Those are made overseas for Batson Enterprises, which also makes Rainshadow blanks here in the states. The Forecasts sell for ridiculously low prices, but are a little slow. If you want a Loomis blank, go to this link. D & E Rods . They sell these private label Loomis blanks at good prices. The model numbers are standard Loomis numbers. The have an 8.5', 3 piece, 4wt in TEAL for $72. The don't classify them as GLX, GL3, IMX, etc. They use 1,2,34 modulous with 4 being close to a GLX or maybe a GL4. The one I mentioned is a 3, which puts it around a GL3. I've built a few rods on these blanks with great sucess.

As for the decal, if you can email me a good quality picture and the size of the decal, I'll make you one.

I've built 3 fly rods from the D&E Loomis OEM blanks. I was so happy with the first three that I ordered 3 more fly blanks from D&E.

Oz - the blanks that were listed at $72 are now 20% off that price, plus an additional 5% off of that. The teal finish is very nice looking too. I really can't imagine getting a better fly blank for $55.

Doug - feel free to stop by the house to check out the D&E blanks. I love them. You should be able to build a beautiful bluegill rod for the wife for under $80. Let me know if you need any supplies (thread, finish, etc.). By the way, I'd go with two NLG strippers (12,10) and single foot chromes the rest of the way out.

Mark

Thanks for the input, guys. I am wrapping the rod with royal blue thread with silver trim, chrome strippers/single foot snakes, and a chrome reel-seat. If my wife only knew how much I think about those strippers....

Al, I like the idea of a dyed-blue wood insert...where would I find one?

Oz: I need a really small decal for the rod, just above the handle. if you can make one on a clear backing, then I'll scare up a picture you can use and e.mail it to you. Thanks...let me know if I can reimburse you for anything.

Mark: I may take you up on that, I'd like to see those blanks. Do you have the blue ones?. I'm starting my 9-wt this weekend, and may call you and plead for help. Thanks.

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com

Bald,

Fire away Emails in my profile. If you don't have a photo, maybe Bob will send me his. I will put it on a clear water slide label. I do agree, however, that it will have to be tiny. When you have the blank, tell me the image dimensions you'd like.

Bob, I'll take that one if you don't mind emailing it to me.

Billy, I'll share what I've got, but there not all great. A need to spend a couple of hours with a scanner to get some good ones.

Oz, Harv, and Bob:

That bluegill picture is PERFECT, just what I am looking for. I will send you all my snail-mail address via email and board mail. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to reimburse you, I'm happy to.

thanks again for your help...

-- Doug

------------------

-- Big Bald Head

derrett@environcorp.com

fish4errett@aol.com