Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Report on Rainshadow SW967, SW1087, and SW1088 Blanks

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I bought these three blanks because I really liked the jetty rod I built on the SW1089.

(If interested, you can read my earlier review of the 1089 as a finished rod on this forum. I posted it in early June of this year.)

I also felt I could use some lighter weight versions and at the price they were being offered, I just could not resist biggrin.gif.

The 1088 and 1087 are 8'10" in length, the 967 is 8 feet.

There is a substantial difference between the 1087, 1088, and 1089 in weight and feel. I am not talking about shades of gray. Rainshadow clearly wanted these rods to complement (i.e., not overlap) one another. I like that because it justifies my desire to have the entire 108 series smile.gif.

The actions seem a little different as well. Both the 1088 and the 1087 feel like they are faster in action than the 1089. The 1087 has an almost "racy" feel to it. It is very light, much lighter than the 1088, and feels like it can sling 1-2 oz a long, long ways. While I like both blanks, I prefer the 1087 -- probably because it is so

light.

Both the 1087 and 1088 were finished in transparent blank (gloss) and are gorgeous.

The 967 is very light and also has a fast action. That is going to become a boat/surf rod. (Where I fish in SC, we often pull our boat up to some islands and fish for redfish amongst the bars, and I think the 967 will work well for that.) I got the 967 in the matte finish and it is very straight and well finished.

All of these rods will be built as conventionals. I just mated a handle and EVA grips to the 967.

My hat is off to Bob Batson for creating such nice blanks at such great prices. I think this is really going to shake up the industry in a good way.

I will report out on the finished rods once I fish them.

Best regards,

Tom

I just ordered the 1023 from them and am looking forward to building my first full size conventional. Have a small spinner or two under my belt. I'll let you know how the blank is when it gets here. Scott

what do You think the sweet spot on the 1088 is??

I got 4 i need to wrap and 2 are 1087 and 2 the 88's

thanks.....

How would You compair to the xra 1083?? if You have one, I love mine and looking for a rod just above the weight rating on that blank.

thanks in advancewink.gif

I suspect the sweet spot for the Rainshadow 1088 will be around 3 oz but it is hard say for sure since I have not built a rod off of one. I remember that 4 oz appeared to be the sweet spot for the 1089 so I think 3 oz is pretty close.

I have no experience with the Lami XRA rod.

Best of luck, Tom