Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt Neil

Need your expertise on choosing a 13' 6" blank.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a customer who requires a 13' 6" surf rod that will cast 2-6 oz + sinkers, 17-20 # test mono, bait fishing down near Cape May I believe and this rod has to be able to turn large stripers and not weight a ton.

I am abit adrift on this one.

I am looking for blank suggestions based on your experiences.

How do these sound?

Lamiglas SB 166 4F

ZZIPLEX LTD ZIP0380 Dymic LT 13

CONO FLEX CON-1 or CON-2

Thanks in advance.

Capt Neil

Neil---the Lami is E-glass and weighs a ton. I'd look more toward the other two, unless price is the biggest criterion.

But it does have a lot of "turning" power.

Hi Ditch,

Thanks.

Any info on those 2 English Companies blanks would be greatly appreciated. I have no knowledge of them.

I think the Lami weights 22 1/2 oz. The CONO FLEX go 18.2 and 14.0 OZ. I could not find a weight for the ZZIPLEX.

Neil

------------------

isnt there a graphite lami, in the surf series, that goes 13'6" and throws 6-14oz or there abouts. Big bait rod basically. Its another option, even though most people I know who use this blank trim it down.

Neil,

The UK blanks tend to be much faster than what we are accustomed to here. Conoflex has a better reputation as a "fishing" rod. The Zippys are more tournament casting stuff, but that varies by model.

I would suggest extending a Lami or looking into the Purglas blanks.

Thirteen and a half feet!!! Cripes! What's he fishing for. smile.gif Seriously, if he is willing to step down to 13'2", breakaway makes a nice rod known the one piece/two piece light (aka 1508) which may serve his needs. There is even a 1507 if he wanted to go a little lighter.

Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe, NC is a good source of information on those blanks.

Best of luck with your quest.

Tom

I'll second hatteras jack's and also put in for hatteras outfitters.

hatteras jack's may be the best help.

check out the european diawa's and the euro penn's (ppt's). much cheaper than the english rods.

Hatteras Jack stocks all The Breakaway blanks. They will have the BGSW1507-2, BGSW1508-2 and the BGSW1509-2. They are your best bet for questions regarding these blanks because Ryan has alot of experience both building and fishing them.

Sharon Johnson

All Star

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. It is a tremendous help.

I have printed out all the info I have received here and from other posts. Next week I will be researching all these suggestions. It will be fun.

Brian M,

Shhhhhhh!

That wasn't supposed to be made known. By the way , how did you know? Oh well. Where is he by the way?

Capt Neil

Capt Neil,Good seeing you at the Rodcrafters seminar.In my book "Ultimate Guide To Surfcasting" page 13 there is recommended guide spacing from the tip down using a conventional reel for the Zziplex Primo Phase Taper tournament rod, which is two piece 13'+.I hope this helps you.