Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skitter

Custom 1209 versus production model

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi Big Dave!

Looking to get a All Star 1209 spinning rod ... Can get the production model for about $190.00

Why do you so many of you go with custom over production models specifically related to this model...will be using for canal jigging.

Thank you,

Mike

Why:

1) You get the reel seat where you want, not just an "average location". How many factory rods felt "good" in your hands? If it feels better you will fish it longer and fish better as you can concentrate on fishing and not" geez I wish the handle was longer/shorter"

2) Guides & Guide placement : You get to pick what guides and tip top you want. Also a custom rod builder can tweak the placement of guides and number of guides to give you the best performance for what you are doing out of that blank.

3) Color: Instead of a factory rod the same color as everybody elses rod, you can get any color you want. Just ask KLE about my pink/chat. yellow RS1208 casting rod......

Bill

Worc,

Pink and chartreuse???

Is that a California special biggrin.gif

I used to build alot of rods and have toyed with the idea of one of these colorful rods.

Don't want to scare Billy 40 by making his rods look tame though biggrin.gif

A couple of other things on a custom, are...

Higher quality wraps and components (not economically feasible for a factory rod) and proper spining of the blank.

A factory rod is made to look straight and may not be spined correctly by virtue of the bend in a blank. A custom rod is usually more accurate. Also, you can go back to a builder for questions, modifications, quick repair and if you are lucky, a loaner.

CD

Guide placement can make a big difference, and wrap colors and decals are cool- but I feel the biggest difference between a custom rod and a factory rod is the component quality.

Lots of factory rods are built on great blanks, but few take advantage of the wide variety of awesome guides, seats, grips, etc. on the market. Place any well made custom rod next to any commercial rod, and the difference is obvious.

HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

Go with the custom.

Or start wrapping yourself. You'd be surprised it is not as hard as it looks.

Addictive, but not that hard.

Production rod you can pick it up off the rack and fish it immediately. smile.gif

Custom rod: casts better, custom fit to user. Down side is finding some one to make one for you before the spring. wink.gif Custom ANYTHING costs ya more beans. wink.gif Sometimes shops carry customs already made - call around.

I started wrapping again after a 20+ year break. Beats hanging out online and starting trouble as the winter is upon us. wink.gif

A custom rod with little or no thread art (say black on black) , is only about $40 more than the factory. For that you get a butt length tht is taylored for you. Most people find that the factory rods have too long a butt. That's gonna kill you with all the casting you do to jig the canal.

Beyond that , you will get an optimized guide set and layout for your application, That is another feature that will make a huge difference tossing heavy jigs with a heavy leader.

Figure you'll have the rod 10 years and the price difference is about 10cents every time you use it. For ten cents a trip , I'll take the custom rod every time.

People have also mentioned colors and designs and they do cost more and are nice. Some people think the artwork is worth it some don't. However , you can get into an optimized basic fishing tool for just a slight price premium over a factory rod.