Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rickhern

Batson or Allstar, 1266 or 1267?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Now that Stroth has wrestled my GSB1321L from my hands, I am looking to build a spin rod to throw 2oz. needles/metal lips to 3-1/2 polaris, 3-4 oz. crippled herring. The rod will be used primarily along the beach and occasionally in the canal. I fish mostly lami conventionals and I am looking for a spin rod to throw eels and the plugs mentioned. I have an allstar 1088 spin that is terrific but I would like a bit more distance and maybe a bit softer tip to feel plugs better.

Also, are there any alternatives to ceramic guides for use with braid. I fish around rocks as anyone who has fished with me will attest, I am rather clumsy. I have broken way too many hardloys, sics, etc... Are there any titanium guides out that can handle braid? Thanks in advance.

Rick

From your description it sounds like the Allstar 1267 would be better for you. I personally prefer the 1266. I have built both and Smokey uses both at the canal (and I've tried them) so I'm totally familiar with both. I don't know what the manufacturers rating is but in fact the 1266 has the higher lure weight capability by about 1 OZ. I would rate the 1267 to 4 OZ and the 1266 to 5 OZ. The 1267 does however have a much more moderate action. Its very similar to a Lami in action.

There's a new line of titanium coated wire guides out, saw em only at Donarts in freeport...might want to pm BC about em, he's built and fished a few sticks with em.

Surfrat, thanks for the info.

Saltheart, how does the 1267 compare with 1265. If the top end of the 1267 is 4oz, how does it differ from 1265, rated 1-4? Thanks again.

Rick

Forget the manufacturers ratings The top end of a Allstar 1265 would be 3 OZ. Its a great beach rod , one of the best for plugging and eeling, but not for heavy stuff or the canal. The 1267 is for heavier stuff.

IMHO--you already have the best distance rod out there for up to 3 oz.

xra1322---i don't think it likes much more than 3oz, but as you know it will absolutely smoke a 3oz. crippled herring. You're also asking that rod to do a whole lot--needles, eels, metal lips, tin eek.gif It's fun though isn't it wink.gif

You can also experiment with cutting it down some...not sure what that would do to the warranty, but I'm curious as to how it would handle if you cut it down to 10 or 10.5 feet.

As for the guides breaking---double and triple check to make sure they are not pac. bay. pac.bay = upck.gif

If you fish alot you can feel the difference between SiC and hardloy---I've never broken or groved the hardloy, but the SiC feels smoother. If I had the dough I'd put them on everything.

Tightlines,

Stroth