Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zero limit

Lamiglas 120 1L

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey Guys, I'm planning on having someone build a custom Lamiglas 120 1L, or similar type rod for me this winter. I just want to get educated before I selected someone to do it. I've seen some guys don't ever choose a reel seat, instead just electrical tape the reel on. Is there a measuring method to choosing where a reel seat goes or the length of the butt section? I've noticed some guys have them cut down, is that just personal choice or does it fit the caster better? Is there a big difference in the quality of the guides you use? What are the better guides? Any suggestions on what to look for in a rod builder or any suggestions at all would be extremely helpful. I fish with a ben doerr 10ft. 2pc. and like it but want a 1pc. rod if that helps at all. Thanks in advance, Eric

I'm no builder, but here's what I've learned...

Some of my rods have seats and others have the plate type seats. The plate seats seem to work fine, although I would recomend a full reel seat to get a more stable base.

As for butt length, I've heard rules like shoulder width for spinners and should just fit under the armpit with the rod held at arms length.

Your builder should be able to help determine where the seat should be for your body and reel. My spinners are 22" from butt to center of seat and conventional are 26". These are all 10' rods.

My rods all have regular Hardloy guides and some have SIC tip tops. I've heard some people use Alconite for less weight.

-spence

I have a factory 101ms which is the same blank that you are having built. I love the rod for under 3 1/2 oz lures handle fish well I like the placement of the reel seat also I will check out the factory placement and get back to you. I decided against making my own I couldn't do it for the $198 I was charged. I will be doing it brother rod the 120 1L conventional soon, well maybe as soon as the seasons over.

I had a GSB120 1L built last winter. I absolutely love the rod. It is not only extremely nice looking it is a fantastic fishing rod!! plain and simple.

When you find your rod maker, let him help you with the dimensions, guide selection and other considerations that he knows far better than you, after all he is the pro!

I might mention that I had a matching GSB108 1L built as well. The design considerations used on the 108 were incredible and lent to another fantastic fishing rod.

Oh yeah, your question on which rod builder to use..............Saltheart !

When I am building a rod for myself or anyone else I

generally will either have the person measure himself or I will do it for him. I measure from the armpit to the center of the palm. That gives me a starting point. Now of course some people like the butt length longer and some like them shorter. Its a matter of personal preference as well as balance.

Most rods I build will have Fuji hardloy guides and either an alconite or SIC tip. If your trying to lighten up the rod you can go with Alconite or SIC guides but the cost is increased slightly with alconites and moreso with SIC guides. As far as guide sizes go that is determined by a few variables such as spool diameter and type, line being used(braid or mono), etc......

Thats why they are called "custom" .

Hope this shed some light on the subject for you?