Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kml

Grip options ?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Looking for some grip options for a boat rod. The blank is a Lami GFC84M it will be used from a boat for swimming bunkers and misc bottom fishing.

The reason I ask is that the butt diameter of the blank is listed at .860 . I like regular cork rings but I am looking for an alternative to because I don't want the handle to be as big as a baseball bat. I leaning toward using cork tape it is just that you don't see it used on this type of rod very often. Eva foam grips don't really do it for me either. Any other grip options that you guys like ?

KML,

An option...Cinelli bicycle handlebar cork tape.

SPASH_PROD_05.jpg

I've used it for several years.

It works well.

For your consideration, bike grips take a beating from rain, sweat, twisting etc.

Cork tape should work fine. I would apply at lest two layers for extra cushion. Spiral up the blank wrapping one way and down the blank in the oppisite spiraling direction.

Mike

KML...go with the tape and concentrate on the foregrip in my opinion...It's alot easier to replace a cork tape rear than EVA or natural cork.

When I had a boat, my boat rods were cork tape rears and I'd flank the reel seat with cork...there's no rules on custom rods as long as they catch fish.

Just note cork tape, shrink tubing, and split grip rods may not balance as well as a rod built with "stadard" grip materials. To each his own, but I HATE rods which are tip heavy, and every "heavy" boat rod which was built with those materials flt crappy, to me.

That bicycle stuff looks interesting, any pictures of it on a rod? WHere to get it, how much?

Billy I don't know why I thought of you as soon as I saw BobSomeFish's picture. I like the look of it also. I'll check it out or use cork tape. I can always add a little weight to the butt to balance it out.

Thanks.

Bob, I got a roll of the cinelli tape and it looks like a winner. Thanks for the tip.

Question, do you epoxy the blank under the tape ?

There is just a small strip of adhesive that runs down the center of the tape. I'm thinking some epoxy is required under the tape.

Thanks.