Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WahooJames

7001i binding up when reeling and freespool

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Handle spins freely when not connected to the frame, and in fact turns the spool freely when the right side of the reel isn't connected. I have not tried with the pawl removed.... I'll give that a go.

Here are a few pictures. It's tough to tell, but maybe the end cap is slightly cockeyed?

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/content/type/61/id/1631643/width/1000/height/1000]

there are two screws on the handle side, not the thumb screws. Are those too tight? If those two screws are too tight one will fell binding. They just need to be snug.

These niggly issues are frustrating for both the source, and those wishing to help out. Try this:

hit the back yard, or an inside doorknob.Tie the line firmly to something, walk backwards, as you start tightening the drag.

If you can make it all the way to max with no stalls or scrapes, no problem with the spool axles. Scraping noises, or a full stall: spool axle stubs are bent or bending.

It still sounds like this is it, based on all info to date.

Remember to ask them what it was... many times, because of business pressures, and communication between receiving, repairing and shipping, they may/will either send you your repaired reel, or a replacement, with no explanation as to original issue. Just a reel in a box.

2 weeks ago I saw 2 of these bound up Abu's. Both came from Cabelas.

Out of the box they were OK. Spooled up with line they were still OK. As the angler was getting ready to cast, the reel bound up.

Fiddling with it, adjusting this & that freed it for a few seconds, then it bound up again. Since we were on the end of a pier in 20 MPH wind, we did not tear them down.

The last I heard about them the line had been removed and both sent back to Cabelas.

2 reels brand new, never cast, only spooled up, and both exactly the same. In free-spool it felt like a bound bearing or bent shaft. In retrieve it was very hard to crank.

Abu has a serious issue with these Chinese made 7000's.

I checked with a warranty center here in Canada...The Cabela reels must be old stock, as Abu had addressed the fail that happened right out of the box with later production runs. The 'hotfix' is the removal of about 1/2 mm 1/4 mm off the radius, from the spool walls, so it no longer binds against the frame. It's easier to remove material from the spool, than the frame. 1/2 mm is about 20 thou. So that's 10thou off the radius, for 20 thou. off the diameter.

So, I'm the OP here and Pure Fishing indicated it was a bent side plate. Charging me under $28 to fix and ship back, which isn't too bad considering the part alone would have run me close to $20. No idea how this happened though, or how to avoid it from happening again.

Good to know they got you going again. Now that you know what happened, you can be on watch. Good of you to report back. I moderate a small Canadian repair forum, and the folks that opt not to report back (per capita) comes to a big number. And in a repair forum, unresolved issues don't really help anyone else with similar issues.

So, the reel came back. It's much better, but there is still a bit of "giddyup" when you reel, and the freespool only spins for about 1 sec, even with the end caps all the way loose.

Pretty disappointing. Considering the amount of abuse that my swedish-made 6500 has taken over the years, I'm surprised the 7001i isn't tougher.

So, the reel came back. It's much better, but there is still a bit of "giddyup" when you reel, and the freespool only spins for about 1 sec, even with the end caps all the way loose. Pretty disappointing. Considering the amount of abuse that my swedish-made 6500 has taken over the years, I'm surprised the 7001i isn't tougher.

That's a bit unlucky... I would now wait and see if a reader of this thread has some SE type 1980 era radiussed 7000 bushings, that they could set you up with.

Not the ones from the 60's 5000's etc.. they are donuts, but the bore is too big.

Jerry Foran will have radiussed bearings, (and may have bushings too) so either option might make enough clearances to true the spool to the frame. You can eyeball these things in this thread: http://www.stripersonline.com/t/517499/original-abu-5230-bearing#post_10764125 The bushings are the same shape.

Edit: if you have a chance, can you locate another spool, and see if that makes a difference. For the test, it won't matter if its a lh or rh wound one. If rh, just tape the line to the spool. There's a chance that the axle stubs on yours are slightly untrue.

I've had 2 7001i's since 2008 that have never had any issues, I think for leftys these reels are the best affordable option on the market today for those looking to get into conventional surf fishing.  I've read many posts that claim they are cheep, poor quality, etc due to them being made in China but I don't find that to be the case. I have been thinking of upgrading my drag washers to carbontex but so far there has been no need to

So, the reel came back. It's much better, but there is still a bit of "giddyup" when you reel, and the freespool only spins for about 1 sec, even with the end caps all the way loose.

Pretty disappointing. Considering the amount of abuse that my swedish-made 6500 has taken over the years, I'm surprised the 7001i isn't tougher.

The spool axle stubs are therefore still suspect as per posts earlier. Can you put another spool in the reel, L or R no never mind, and see what it spins like. If R, remember to tape it down so the line stays on the spool, unless you use an empty one.