Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WahooJames

7001i binding up when reeling and freespool

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I have a 7001i that hasn't given me any trouble until now, and frankly haven't even really been fished all that hard.

Suddenly the other day I found the reel handle rather difficult to turn, and when I flipped to freespool, the spool also didn't spin freely either. It's not totally bound up-- I was able to even make a short cast with it, and retrieve the line, but has a variable (oscilating?) resistance. When I turn the handle 1 full revolution, there are 4 "tight" spots but between these, the reel feels closer to normal.

I took the spool out of the reel this evening. The first thing I noticed was that 2 of the 4 white brake blocks looked like they had ridden up on their posts, and maybe had been pinching. I pushed the back into place, but when I put the reel back together, I found that the problem was still occurring.

It is tough to tell if the spool shaft is bent.. I hope not! I didn't do a full tear down of the reel, but the clicker and levelwind seem to be spinning freely.

I put the spool back into the handle side (the left side, remember, this is a LH reel) but left the right side off, and it seems like the reel does not have the resistance. When I put the right side on, the resistance returns. The resistance is there even if I have the spool end cap totally backed off.

Any ideas of things I should check out to figure this out?

None. I think the reel is sand-free, as it's a boat reel. Might have a little salt in the bearings, but it doesn't feel like it's a bearing issue at all.

Maybe "binding up" isn't the right term... it is not gritty at all, and it doesn't get jammed, the resistance just increases and it kind of sticks, but it is not a "hard" sensation.

Is the edge of the spool rubbing the frame?

Can indicate a bent spindle, sometimes happens if you get a solid snag & pull hard direct on the reel to free your line.

I'm gonna take it apart this weekend, I don't think the spool is rubbing the frame but perhaps the spindle is bent. As far as I can tell, the "sticky" spot is on the same spot every time as the spool revolves. That would suck!

Hi.

According to several warranty sources, Abu has yet to deal with the sub-standard metal they have used for the spool axles. It's proving cheaper to replace spools, while the reel is on warranty. One center, takes the spool, and shaves off as many thou as needed from the sidewalls, to have the spool clear the frame.

Under load, The axle stubs flex, like a bow, and rub against the frame. It's proving easier to remove metal from the spool walls, than shave the frame openings.

This negates the use of thin lines, like a 15-20 pound mono, as the spool no longer comes close to the frame. Once the spool is relieved, end of issues. (except the use of thin line)

So, I think it is a bent axle. The problem happens even when the reel isn't under load, but I think the tolerance of the hole in the side plate is so tight that a slight bend in the axle causes it to rub somewhere. Gross. Any other info on how to solve, Ken?

Hi. That little pass hole where the axle goes through to the pocket for the bearing or bushing is pretty small. The first thing I do, if a reel I see is off warranty, is to enlarge the hole out to about 3/16's, to permit bunting a bearing out of the pocket from the back. I have had several so rusted in, that no amount of scratching or pushing would budge it from either orientation.

If your reel is still on warranty, I would see about getting a replacement spool. With no special tools, it's pretty hard to get the stubs back to true. As far as I know, there is nothing to be done about the deformation except to start fresh, attempt to straighten on site, or remove metal from the sidewalls of the spool, or the frame. The spool metal is easier to remove than the frame.

I suspect it's the result, of the know-it-alls in design, who somehow assumed that upping the drag pressure by what: 60%..... 5 disks from 3, would have zero consequences on the rest of the reel !! And they say _my_ IQ # is the same # as my waist size.... :D

Hi. That little pass hole where the axle goes through to the pocket for the bearing or bushing is pretty small. The first thing I do, if a reel I see is off warranty, is to enlarge the hole out to about 3/16's, to permit bunting a bearing out of the pocket from the back. I have had several so rusted in, that no amount of scratching or pushing would budge it from either orientation.

If your reel is still on warranty, I would see about getting a replacement spool. With no special tools, it's pretty hard to get the stubs back to true. As far as I know, there is nothing to be done about the deformation except to start fresh, attempt to straighten on site, or remove metal from the sidewalls of the spool, or the frame. The spool metal is easier to remove than the frame.

I suspect it's the result, of the know-it-alls in design, who somehow assumed that upping the drag pressure by what: 60%..... 5 disks from 3, would have zero consequences on the rest of the reel !! And they say _my_ IQ # is the same # as my waist size.... :D

You are very fat indeed.

"Suddenly the other day I found the reel handle rather difficult to turn,"

I'm curious about this suddenly. You didn't drop or hit the reel on a rock or something? My point is, something happened.  

"Suddenly the other day I found the reel handle rather difficult to turn,"

I'm curious about this suddenly. You didn't drop or hit the reel on a rock or something? My point is, something happened.  

Something must have happened, but as far as I can recall, the reel was totally fine when i used it about 2 weeks prior.. I washed down the reel and stored it away and the next time i used it, I had this problem. It's possible that i had a snag and pulled on it directly, although I think I would have noticed that the reel was sticking after that, and the first time I felt the reel acting abnormally was the next time I used it.

The reel is a little less than 2 years old, so it is out of warranty. I'm going to give Pure Fishing a call to see what they say.

Is it possible that you've pinched one or more of the centrifugal white weights on the spool spokes, between their sliders and the ring on the brake plate? If the weights are out too far, they can get squished, not fitting inside the ring, during re-assembly.

As the Jimmy indicates above, has the reel been dropped? Eyeball the "plumbness" of the cast/end caps to the plate, check for dented plates, yada.

Now and then the reel gets dropped right on the end cap/s, which knocks them off plumb, causing the axle to bind.

So, originally, I thought that is what the problem was-- that the brake blocks were somehow causing a problem.

Interestingly, when I first opened the reel for this problem (incidentally, it's the first time I have ever opened this reel for any reason) one of the brake blocks was jammed up. But when i repositioned it, the problem still occurred, and in fact at one point this weekend, I assembled the reel without the brake block assembly... same problem.

I've also ruled out the end caps-- in fact, this problem happens even if the end caps are off the reel entirely.

In a way, I wished I had dropped it or slammed it into a rock. The fact that this happened without a major event is confusing, but also doesn't help me put a lot of faith in the reel.