Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

GP 964 questions???

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm gonna build a GP 964 for a friend. He'll be using a Daiwa SS1600 or Stradic 4000. So far I think I am going to use the FUJI DPSD17 reel seat, Then I think I'm going to go with single foot guides 30,25,20,16,12,10 and 10 tip. Do you think I should use cork tape on this rod or is the butt too thin for that (.595")? I was thinking of using the new Alconite Concept guides with an SIC tip. Sound good or do you recommend something else? Thanks again, Mike

Mike,

The alconite single foot guides would go well with this blank.

I think the blank is too thin for cork tape. I would use regular cork grips.

Al

I like the thin butt with cork tape...but that's just me...and I'm still workin' on cork grips smile.gif

I'll tell ya what, this is truly the king of all 8ft graphite blanks...I'm still in awe of what this light blank can do! I'm working on a conventional version right now, specifically for 'yak fishing. So far, this rod has handled lures from 1/4oz to 2oz...and is most assuredly in it's glory from 5/8-1 1/2oz. I know, I know, I've said this all before, but hey, I'm in heart.gif!

TimS

Tim,

Could you help me with the guide setup you used and the reel seat? My first post has all the info about what guides and reel seat I'm thinking of, but if you have any better ideas I'd appreciate it. I'll be ordering the blank tomorrow. Mike

Mike,

I agree with Al that the Alconite new concepts should work well on that rod. I've built 5 rods from 78-90" with the new concept guides and love them. I've used something closer to the standard new concept set-up with three high frames (BYAG 30, 16, 10), one transition guide (BYAG8JL) and three to five fly guides (BLAG8), depending on static deflection. The idea is to use the smallest and lightest guides that you can get away with. While the new concept set-up may look a bit strange at first, I'm sold on it outperforming conventional systems.

I'm with Tim on liking a thin cork tape handle. It's really a question of personal preference and comfort that requires handling the rod to see if it works for you. Rod sensitivity through one layer of cork tape will be excellent. If your friend thinks it's too thin, you might consider just wrapping on another layer of cork tape.

A Fuji 17 or 18 reel seat should work fine.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark (edited 05-08-2001).]

Mark,

Are you using that setup for max. sensitivity or casting distance? I'm primarily interested in a rod that casts 3/4-1oz lures well. The rod will be used with 20lb PowerPro if that makes a big difference. Thanks for the info! Mike

The new concept system was created to maximize both distance and sensitivity. My experience with the system has led me to believe that it accomplishes both.

Anyone else have any tips on the New Concept System for this rod, I want to order the guides soon but I'm having a little trouble deciding that exact size. I think I would like to go with the Alconite, just not sure exactly what sizes and heights to go with. Thanks, Mike

Al, that's 12 guides on an 8ft spinning rod!??!! cwm24.gifcwm24.gif Call me traditional, but I put 5 or 6 on mine and thought it was plenty wink.gif I'm going to re-wrap mine though, I don't like the way the high frame guides look. I can't fault them for perfomance, I just don't like the way they look. When I do rewrap it, it's going to have a BNLG 30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 10 and a 10 tip. Pretty much for the look/feel I think I've grown accustomed to. The BNLG 30 might seem like a small guide to start with for an ft spinning rod, but for a rod that will only see use with braid I think it's more than enough. I'll let ya know smile.gif

Any thought to the fact that Fuji's new concept guide thing, using 12 guides on an 8ft rod, might have some basis in increasing the numberof guides sold? I'm not accusing them, I'm just wondering if the science behind this new concept is solid. I can't help but think 12 guides on a light 8ft spinning rod is somehow going to affect the action of the rod. Just some thoughts smile.gif

TimS

Tim,

I have heard lots of positives about the Concept system, however, I have not employed it yet in it's purest form. The concept guides are a little too light for my tastes.

I want more durable guides for the fishing I do.

The BNLG guides are a favorite of mine, but I prefer a higher frame guide for spinning.

Al

Tim,

If you're employing the concept system on an 8' rod, you'd be using single foot fly guides for the last 6 guides. The fly guides probably weigh less half of what the BNLG guides weigh. The first 4 guides from the butt are all higher frame single foot guides. The 2-3 middle guides would be transition guides. So how do you reduce weight by using more guides? Three areas: a) using many small single foot guides, b) only using one wrap of thread over small single foot guides, and c) using much less epoxy on small wrap area.

I think it's hard to convince someone that been so successful with another system that the concept system can make much of a difference. Since you've become a wrapping machine, Tim, why don't you give it the old college try and see how it works out? And, yes, the concept system looks strange.

I think having more contact points (which are small and not heavily weighted) with the blank is where the concept system shines.

I also agree with Al that the light guides on a concept rod won't take the bang around abuse that heavier guides will. However, I think they can withstand fishing pressure abuse as well as traditional setups, especially when they're placed correctly on the blank to provide the best stress distribution.

Give it a shot. Mark

Tim,

I have everything ordered for that rod and I'll be using the concept system, once I have it all done I'll let you know how it goes. Hoping to get it the materials this week and then get it finished the following week. If you want to swing by Staten Island you're welcome to give it a few casts. Mike

Got the blank last night, it looks like a lighter GLB 961M. Also seems to be a bit slower action. Should be real nice for 3/4-1oz. and with the slower action seems it will be good for braids. Ordered the Camry 3500 for it. Just waiting for the guides to come in and I'll be ready to wrap it up. Mike