Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jayfish

kennedy fisher fly rod

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

i have a 9 wt kennedy fisher rod . i would like to have it made into a ultra light plugin rod. maybe cut a little off the tip . anyone try this. i would hate to ruin this blank.

Jayfish,

There is always the possibility that you may ruin this blank in the process of altering it's use. You may even damage it stripping out the old components. The actual time needed to strip a blank back to bare, safely and re- building it is more than double the time from building with a new blank. It takes more knowledge and skill to.

So my two pennies worth would be why not get yourself a new purpose designed blank. They can be had for small or big money. The choice is pretty vast. Even expensive ones are not that dear compared to what we would have to pay for the same over here. You still have that nice kenndy Rod then.

Regards

Mike Oliver

Jayfish,

I wondered if I may have been off track myself.

Ok this is still a tough call. If you cut the blank back then I think it will be curtains if you ever decided to re-build as a fly rod.

Only you can know if the blank has the required action you are looking for in a light plugging rod. For me fly rods even 9wts are going to lack a little something especially in the wall thickness area.

You might want to consider ebaying the blank and buy a purpose made plugging blank. You should get a good price for your fly blank. Personally whilst I would sell blanks and rods on ebay I would never buy them that way. I lack trust of my fellow man I am afraid.

Regards

Mike

Is this a graphite or glass blank?

I used to make a mess of the graphites for Creative Fly Fishing in Oakdale. The owner loved those and I thought they were nice casting blanks. Not a superfast powerhouse, but a smooth caster.

I'd keep it as a fly rod and roll it up. Get a 2 piece that suits your wishes and make that your light spinner. That blank is a classic!!

hi

i wouldn't do it to a fisher

go to a fly site and you'll find a good home for it if you don't want to build it and have

enough from the sale to get yourself a nice spinner

let someone put it to use for what it was intended.

my .02

WR

Jay,

I have a 10 weight Fisher that I had the same train of thought on, but I quickly realized this was one stix made to be a fly rod.

Good choice on my part, it loads like a dream and flings line a mile. I caught this thread a little late, but glad you are going with it as a fly rod.

Wish I could find me more of them that blanks. biggrin.gif