Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spigola

Blank help

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

We talked before but I just got a chance to look at and fondle a Calstar 800L and really like it. I am thinking of making one up full length for my renewed efforts at party boat bottom fishing. It will serve as an all around seabass, porgie, offshore fluke and blackfish rod. Seems to have a great sensitive tip, a very fast taper, which I like in rods and plenty of power in the butt section. I think this will be a great Montauk and local wreck bottom fishing stick. Other than codfishing, which I don't get to do much of any more, I think this may well be a good all around for all that I intend to do on my future party boat trips.

I would value your opinion on the quality of this blank and also maybe an 800XL built strictly as a fluke rod, or do you think the 800L can cover all that I mentioned above??

I am talking about the possibility of fishing with maybe 6 to 12 oz of lead, any where from 30 to 120 feet of water with the 800L.

Thanks for your input.

Spigola

Hi Spig,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Busy day at work.

The Calstar 800L is a sweet blank, but a little too fast for my taste. It's a good wreck and jigging blank for stripers, cod and blackfish. Much too fast for sea bass and fluke. The XL is a better choice.

The blank you probably really want is one I have special ordered from Calstar. It's the 800L pattern wrapped on a medium action mandrel. Awesome blank, and much better suited to your needs.

JPL, thanks for jumping in.

Al