Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

Guide Performance and effect on a GSB1201M

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I recently had a conversation on the beach about guide set up on a GSB 1201M. One guy had the new TiC Wire guides and the other the standard 5 guide BSVLG set up. I didn't get to handle the rods together so I'm relaying the exchange. The owner of the BSVLG rod tried the wire guide rod and said it loaded amazing different, like a totally different rod. He said his felt like a broomstick and was tough to load, imediately asking me to rewrap it with the wire guides (which I'm not a fan of). One other fact. The BSVLG rod was made about 7 years ago by Van Staal. The wire guide rod was a new one made by a friend. Both underwraped , both 5 guides.

So what likely contributes to this vast difference in feel? My guess was the primary cause was a change at Lami or just lack of quality control. My friend swore it was the ability of the wire guides to flex.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

I believe that when you "splint" a rod with double footed guides, the rod doesn't flex underneath or between the feet. Probably two altogether different blanks.

my $0.02

gad

There's always been some variation in flex between Lami blanks of the same model number. I guess it happens with hand-laid blanks now and then.

I have 2 120 1M blanks. Both have 5 underwrapped guides. One is a hell of a lot stiffer than the other.

Tim has cast my 120 1L from the 80s and he agrees with me that it feels much more like a 1M than his newer 1L. And, Lami didn't even make a 120 1M when I bought it.

The wire guides have more flex than the Fuji's, hence the different feel. Fuji BSVLG guides are very heavy, there is a notable difference even between the Fuji and the Pac BAY. Not only taper the feet when prepping but narrowing the guide feet their entire length takes some of the stiffness out of the Fuji's. Still the best way to take advantage of a 10 footer is to only use 4 guides, one less stiff spot in the blank, full flex loads, less guide surface, line friction, casts farther...absolutely no good use for a 5th guide, try it, the difference will amaze you.

Just my .02 cents HappyWave.gif

Im building a 120 1M now for a customer and I must say, it is SCHWEET... Im using BSLVG's 50,40,30,20,16... they do add a little weight to the rod, but they also make the rod feel like a sweet stick not a telephone pole. The difference in weight is marginal between these and lighter guides.

BC

There could be another reason for the apparent change in blanks: a change in the mechanical properties of the blank due to work hardening of the resin. John Holden remarks on that in one of his books. Some rods can get stiffer with age.

Before buying my 120 1m blank, I was able to handle about 5 of them in the same store. Like I've seen before, a couple out of the group were much heavier/lighter than the norm. To this day I laugh when I hear guys talking about loving this blank built spinning for plugging Montauk; mine won't load well with less than 3-4 ounces. I couldn't throw 1.5 bucktails with it to save my life. I ended up stripping the blank and rebuilding it conventional. Now I absolutely love it. I think I chose the heavier blank of the bunchredface.gif -Just my 2 cents worth FWIW.

Alex