Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bucktail

Blanks

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I need you expert advice again. I went to a store to purchase a Lami XRA120 4. On closer examination a noticed a very slight whip or bend in the blank along the spine. The dealer tells me "it's no problem most blanks are not perfectly straight". If this is the case how do you proceed. Or should I just walk away from this blank.

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

Great to meet you at the wing fling.

Perfectly straight blanks are the "holy grail" of rod building. While a slight bend is really not an issue to be concerned about, for the money you are paying for an Arra series blank you should get a straight one.

Al

Hey Frank,

Nice to meet you and Al at the wing fling. Terminal tackle in Kings Park had a few 1204's in stock to choose from when I was there last weekend, one of which is probably straight. Might be worth a drive up the Sunken Meadow Parkway..

I'm about half finished with my GSB 120 1M. Just need to test cast and wrap. Can't wait for Thanksgiving and big wood! Good luck with the 1204. That blank is sweet.

-Alex

Al

Thanks for your advice again, I think I'll take a pass on the curved blank. He expects a new shipment soon.I look forward to the workshop on 2/09.

Alex,

Thats where these blanks came from. I've been going to Terminal for years. They have good stuff and John is very knowledgeable. Thanks for the good advice. Lets break in these new rods at Montauk this spring.

It was a pleasure meeting you both at the wing fling. I had a good time with some great people.

Frank