Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

1087 spiral wrap

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

guys, please look at these pictures, and let me know what you think about the path of the line. i'm going with the o'quinn method. i put the line as far to the left on the reel, since that will give me the sharpest angle, and to me it looks pretty good. although, this is my first spiral rod, and i've never seen one in person.

take a look, and let me know what you think.

thanks.

Batson1087a.jpg

Batson1087b.jpg

Stripper guide does look just a bit too far right. Try bringing it back just a bit. Whats the distance from the center of the reel seat to the stripper? Hard to tell from the photo, but looks really close. Take it out and give it a good workout. Play with the rotation of the guides and the distance to the stripper till your happy with the way it casts.

Glad to see another spiral convert. biggrin.gif

Gotta agree with Billy and Fishaddict on this one.

The stripper guide looks a bit too far to the right? But like Billy said test cast it and see?

I generally set the stripper about 15 degrees off center and try it. Then adjust from there.

Russ

What beautiful girl !!

In all honesty I think it would be impossible to tell from these pictures do to the distorted view of the reel so close and the guides so far. I think it makes the bend these guys mentioned look worse than it really is.

guys, thanks for the replies. the stripper guide is 18 3/4 inches from the reel spool center. i was reading the o'quinn spiral article in rodmaker vol 6, issue 5, and in there it says to set the guide between 15 and 20 inches in front of the reel face, and offset between 25 and 45 degrees.

i have yet to put on the size 10 guides on the bottom of the rod, but the distance from my tip top to the first 180 guide (as seen from the butt of the rod) is 37 inches. the spacing look good in the quick static test that i did for the transition guides. now i just have to add the bottom guides, and space them out a bit and see what works.

i will move the stripper back a few degrees, and try and test cast it today if the wind calms down.

thanks for the comments about my daughter. she loves to help, no matter what i do. the other day she helped my build a kayak cart. i needed to use the drill press, and she needed to do her part. so, she had the all important job of holding the bungee cord that was hooked to the foot of the drill press. we all know how important it is to make sure that someone always has a good grip on the bungee cord when using the drill press. biggrin.gif

One thing that has not been mentioned...

Since this reel is right hand wind and you spiraled to the right, you will be pulling the line to the left to level it.

I'd spiral to the left so you push the line on the reel to level it. It's a lot less work while reeling !!

canyondiver, since this reel is a levelwind reel, do i have to worry about that? being a dedicated flycaster in the past, this is all new to me.

i also read somewhere that spiraling to the same side as the reel handle will give you one basically flat side to the rod, so that when you lay it down, you're not putting extra strain either on the guides or the handle.