Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
t58martin

Want to learn how to build...

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm sure it's been covered here before, what is a good reference to learn how to build rods?

The search function has not been working recently, or I would just search through the archives. I'd like to build each of my boys a surf rod. If there are any books or video's that you can recommend I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

I definitely recommend "Rod-Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman. It's not an overly long book, but it has excellent close-up photographs, and will do a great job of getting you started. I am planning on building my first rod this winter, and had many, many questions about various things. After reading through this book, my overall understanding of everything necessary has improved immeasurably. Another great resource is http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?f=2 where there is a library of articles and a very active and courteous rodbuilding message board. I've looked through the posts, and they're full of excellent feedback.

You might also get a book called Advanced custom Rod Building by Dale Clemens. I am also a contributor on rodbuilding.org. You well find losts of good info and great help there. You might try and get hold of CaptNeil or Al Goldberg these 2 guys are from the East Coast. I think New Jersy or Long Island. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Good Wraps

Definitely go to rodbuilding.org Look for Billy 40 aka Billy Vivonna he is starting up a building group inthe north Jersey new York Area called the N.E.R.D.S they are teaching and meeting to help others also Al Goldberg on Long Island

Rod building. org also has A Library of articles dealing with the Craft, also check out the search function if you have any Questions

the only Stupid Question is the one you NEVER ASK!