Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WickedStriper

Wading boots recommendation?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Any ideas?  Cabelas has a $70 pair (Ultralight 2 Lug Wading Boots) and Korkers has a $210 pair (KGBs).  I was leaning towards getting some stocking foot waders from LL Bean and using Korkers Castrax strap-ons ($80) with a good pair of wading boots, but am open to ideas.  If I do get Castrax, then the boots would need to be about ~$70 because LL Bean's studded boot foot waders are $150 more than the stocking foot (hence if I use Castrax, then I have about $70 to spend on boots otherwise I should probably go with the boot foot waders).  But again I dont mind spending a bit more as long as the stuff will last a very long time.  Thanks guys.

I am a big fan of Korkers FB3310 $88 with the interchangeable felt and rubbersoles and a decent stocking foot wader. I would also add the Korker omitrack sole FA3040 $40 for the rocks. As far as waders go Cabelas or LL should do. I buy only from Cabelas and they have great stuff. You should be able to do the Korkers, extra studded sole and wader for $250 if that is within your budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedStriper View Post

Any ideas?  Cabelas has a $70 pair (Ultralight 2 Lug Wading Boots) and Korkers has a $210 pair (KGBs).  I was leaning towards getting some stocking foot waders from LL Bean and using Korkers Castrax strap-ons ($80) with a good pair of wading boots, but am open to ideas.  If I do get Castrax, then the boots would need to be about ~$70 because LL Bean's studded boot foot waders are $150 more than the stocking foot (hence if I use Castrax, then I have about $70 to spend on boots otherwise I should probably go with the boot foot waders).  But again I dont mind spending a bit more as long as the stuff will last a very long time.  Thanks guys.

If you get Korkers do not get the BOA system, get them with regular laces. Sand gets into the tightening knob making it very hard to release. I had to remove the knob numerous times to get it to release. Korkers has a good pair of boots with the interchangeable sole and regular laces for about $100-$120. Wore a pair of Ultralights some years back, the boot is very bulky in the sole and they run a half size smaller than whats advertised.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfin View Post

I am a big fan of Korkers FB3310 $88 with the interchangeable felt and rubbersoles and a decent stocking foot wader. I would also add the Korker omitrack sole FA3040 $40 for the rocks. As far as waders go Cabelas or LL should do. I buy only from Cabelas and they have great stuff. You should be able to do the Korkers, extra studded sole and wader for $250 if that is within your budget.

The korkers omnitrack sole that you use is it the "studded rubber" one? 

Quote:

Also regarding waders..I'm a big advocate of the Orvis Sonicseam $230, but worth it! Welded seams, reinforced knees, extremely light and breathable. Instead of getting the Korkers KGBs get the better waders and get the $100 pair of Korkers

I highly recommend the Korkers Redsides.  $109 and you can get the heavy duty studded soles for rock hopping.  You get the rubber soles and the felt soles with the boots.  I've been beating them for about 2 seasons and they are still holding up really well.

Great lace system and well made.  I also have the Cabelas and I would not recommend them.  They are ok but the amount of sand I get in them compared to the Korkers is crazy.  If you just fish big rocks and want to screw studs into a boot than the Cabelas are not a bad price for rock hoping boots but I love the Korkers.

I will say Korkers run small in my experience.  I wear a 10 but could fit into a 9.5 and my Korkers are an 11.  Could not fit into tens.  I would always go 1 size up and if your a .5 size go 1.5 size up (i.e. if your a 10.5 get a size 12)

I own and have been using the Ultralight 2 Lug Wading Boots by Cabela"s  WITH felt soles.  I really like these boots.  They come with metal spikes that screw in the soles.  No need for Korkers.  I have worn them in very slippery conditions and have always felt stable and secure.  The boots are very light weight.

I do have an ankle issue and put inserts in the boots.  I did this because I really need arch support, and my physical therapist recommended it.  The inserts are "Super Feet", and they were a bit pricy, but last.  If you don't have an ankle issue like I do then this should not be an issue for you.  The last pair I had lasted a few years, using them heavily in the fall and spring, not so much during the hot summer months.  I have a new pair waiting for the fall run.  I probably could have still used the older pair, but they were showing signs of wear, due to being used a lot.  Overall conclusion-  I would recommend.  

The Cabelas ultralight IIs are nice but before a full season was over mine started to break down, with seams opening up and all. Cabelas gave me a new pair but just keeping them for spares now, as I picked up some Simms Headwaters. Screwed a bunch INS studs and wearbars in em, these boots are light, well built and I have all the traction I'm ever gonna need. I highly recommend these boots!

Here are the list of Korkers:

-Redside Boot = $110

-Mudder Ducker Boot = $120

-Metalhead Boot = $160 (UPDATE: so this one has the BOA and weighs more, I guess this one is out).

-Chrome Boot = $190 (UPDATE: so this one has the BOA and weighs more, I guess this one is out).

-KGB Boot = $210

Which one would you guys recommend?

The korkers omnitrack sole that you use is it the "studded rubber" one? 

Yes but there are two studded rubber ones. The one I recommended and the one that comes standard with some of the boot models. The one I am recommending is the one you want for working the rocks and jetties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfin View Post

Yes but there are two studded rubber ones. The one I recommended and the one that comes standard with some of the boot models. The one I am recommending is the one you want for working the rocks and jetties.

This one?

<br />

Quote:

This one?

That one does not usually come with the Redside's.  It comes with a rubber sole and a felt (no studs) typically.  I have seen other combinations though.  I purchased that sole for my Redside's and they work really well for me.  I use them out in Montauk or when fishing really rocky areas.  I saw some pretty good deals on Redsides on Ebay.  Could check it out or go with the BST.

The other studded soles are smaller studs on the standard omni-trak rubber soles.  I will say the standard rubber sole does grip very well but you need studs if fishing big rocks