Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Plug

reel seat or lack thereof

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'm in the planning stages of a Breakaway 1209 Conventional.

It will be cork tape with no permanent reel seat. So how should I go? Fuji skeleton? Reel clamps? Tape on?

What is the best method for securing a skeleton seat? Tommy tape? If I just tape the reel to the cork what type of tape is best?

on my 2/1 spinner i couldn't decide where i wanted the reel ; so no reel seat .

first i tried the 'coasters ' , didn't like them ,got in the way .

second i went with the fuji skeleton, taped on ..works ok , still like the idea of being able to move the reel seat . used a combination of tapes: re-enforced fiberglass packing tape then a layer of electrial tape , last shrink tubing .

the only problem is i am using an diawa emblem xt 5500 ; large reel & it just doesn't feel soild on the rod ( thats the reason for the layers of tape & shrink tubing )

with a conventional reel i don't think there should be that problem .probally going to switch the rod over to conventional this year , when i do i am going to have a reel seat put on

derf

Hi. Since you are using cork tape and no reel seat, try this. And this can be done after the rod is built. Test cast using the different reels and use masking tape to mark where each reel will be positioned. You are looking for the overall length of butt that the reels will be on. Now mark the extreme ends. Cut a piece of shrink tubing that long. Slip it over the butt end and position it in place. Using a heat gun, SHRINK it. Heat it carefully so as not to cook the cork and blank.

Shrink tubing can shrink about 50% of its original diameter. Also, use the heavy duty shrink tubing.

Now you can clanp your reels in place. The cork tape will not be damaged. The shrink tubing holds upo very well.

Capt Neil