Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Drying motor speed

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I've been using a Cabelas' 4rpm motor to dry but I think it's kind of slow (mainly because I thin my FC). When this motor dies, I would look for a 6-10rpm, I think a little hier speed would help my FC dries smoother.

If you're new at it the 4-6RPM is more forgiving.Lets you apply under guides a little easier. 18RPM gives you more production. A common wall dimmer switch installed in the power cord will slow down a fast motor.

I use an 18 r.p.m. motor and I haven't had any problems. It can be tough when you are doing the guide feet.

I tried to put in a dimmer switch on my wrapping motor....pooooof! Guess I'm not an electrician --blew up the dimmer, but the motor was fine redface.gif

The speed of your motor should correlate to the viscosity of your finish and how much you put on. If you put on really thin coats and build up the finish with successive coats, then maybe the RPM's don't matter so much.

Basically, if you are using a finish like Flex Coat that is very thick, you can use a slower speed so the epoxy has an opportunity to flow. If you use something like LS Supreme that is very thin, you need higher rpm's (as high as 40) to keep it suspended so it doesn't sag or drip.

Hey 'sin-

FWIW, I have been using LS Supreme with an 18rpm motor with no problems. I couldn't imagine trying to apply fisnish with my rod on a 40rpm motor!!! cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif