Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

WireLineRodGuides?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I am going to rebuild an old wire line rod for a buddy of mine. He is the kind of guy that always takes you fishing on his boat, but never asks for anything. I cannot tell what the blank is, but it looks like it was made at CMS, because the sticker is still partially there.

The rod is approx. 75 inches long, and it has two guides and a roller top. It has a wooden handle that slides into a metal reel seat. Both of the guides are busted and the roller top is useless.

I want to replace the reel seat. I'm assuming that a graphite reel seat will suit him much better than the metal one, so I'll upgrade that.

After that, I need some suggestions, what do you guys think will work best?C

I did some searches, but all of the info seemed old.

Should I keep the same number of guides?

Do I need the roller top, or could I go with some type of SiC one?

Primarily this rod will be used to troll umbrella rigs or occassionally wire line jig.

As always all of your thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated. I really want to make this nice for this guy.

THANKS!!!!

A wire top is not mandatory, you can just as soon go with a stainless tip top. With roller tops you have to be sure the wire does not come off of the roller & cause a bend in the line. Also, if I remember correctly, I think with a roller top you really have to be sure to follow the wire with the rod, which you should do anyway, but with a roller top it is more critical to do so.

If you are still interested, I can get back to you on the other guides.

You can go with the two guides plus a tip top or to make the rod perform better, add one more or two more guides. Wire line guides should be carbaloy, or Fuji Silicon Nitrate, or Fuji SIC. No one makes a case hardened roller top any more (they were a pain as stated above) so I would recommend a SIN or SIC or Carbaloy tip top. All work well with wire.

Price wise, SIN is the cheapest, carbaloy and SIC are similar in price.

Awesome!

Thanks for the responses guys. I am glad I waited before I bought the guides.

I am thinking that I will not go with a roller top.

I will add one or two more guides for a total of 3 or 4 and I will go with an SiC tip (I'm thinking the guides will be SiC as well)

Any tips on where to start with the guide sizes and placements?

I do not have a wire-line reel set up so it will be hard to do some testing...

thanks!

stroth

Carbaloy was it, I couldn't remember the name.

I think you can use a reel with mono on it just be sure it is the same height from the top of the loaded spool. To avoid any mistakes your best bet would be to try to use the same reel. Place the guides, bend the rod & look for flat spots (spots between guides where the line touches the rod when there is weight on the line)and adjust from there.

As far as a reel seat I would stay away from graphite, I just blew up a Fuji Graphie on a rod that is nearly new. Either refinishg the existing wood and replace the old seat with a new metal seat or get a new wood handle with the same type or go with an aluminum deep sea type but & reel seat. Weigh out the costs of all of your options before you buy anything. Do it once, do it right.

A great place for stuff is mud hole google them up.

Good luck

If you mean stainless wire , etc , I would go with 3 Sic guides and an aftco roller tip. If you mean lead core , I would go with 3 SIC guides and a Carboloy tip.

I think SiC tips are too brittle for wire.