Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

blank for throwing Bombers....

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

anyone have an opinion on what's the best blank for throwing bombers? would also like to throw plugs/jigs up to about 1.5-2 oz, set up as spinning. oh yeah, I'd like it to be 10'(or more?) and 2-piece, if it's possible. will probably put a fin-nor Ahab 16 on it. thanks for any advice! Bob

What's the low end of what you'd like to throw? Cause these guys have you perfectly covered at 1.5-2oz at the upper end with the XRA1204-2 and Allstar 1265/2smile.gif

TimS

the low end would be 1/2oz or so (whatever a 5" mambo minnow {or similar} weighs)... I'm feelin like I just don't cover very much water when fishing them (and I really like to use 'em). I know they're not verey aerodynamic and cast like poop, but I'm hoping to improve my distance. thanks Bob

Lami S Glass 1362f cut from the butt to 10ft. Its a great blank that casts very well with 2oz pencil poppers. It also casts the small stuff well, 1oz bucktails, 7/8oz swimmers with no problem. I can cast all day, "The rod almost cast itself". You can set the rod up with all single foot guides with the addition of a 40hh striper. I gave this rod to my buddy in Montauk back in Sept and havent seen it since. Bruce

It sounds like you really should look at the GSB108 1L blank - it will do the range you want - from 1/2oz to 2 1/2oz. It's not the best rod for 1/2oz stuff, but it's more than sufficient. And at 2 1/2oz it still has enough power to sink the 3/0 hooks on a 2 1/2oz darter smile.gif It's a very, very versatile blank. Also makes an excellent live eel stick smile.gif

TimS

The 2F S-glass has been out of production for at least 5 years, probably longer. If you find them anywhere, buy two and PM me wink.gif

Same goes for any Fisher blanks you might come across biggrin.gif

guys, thanks for the responses........ I've still gotta consider that a one-piece 10' rod just aint fittin' insida my little car.... and then there's cost.frown.gif so maybe Batson? or a triflex? I know they're composite, but this is my reality check... thnka for yer help, and any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks! Bob

I think you may need to reconsider the 10ft 2 piece part smile.gif Either that or you can look at some of the salmon rods Lamiglas makes.

For a finished rod, reasonably priced, that will do all that you ask - the 8 1/2' TriFlex spinning rod - TS86MS would be perfect. The longer TriFlex rods won't do the 1/2oz low end you need.

I still think the GSB108 1L is the perfect stick for what you want - but it's 9ft, not 10ft and it's 1 piece.

TimS

how about extending the butt up to 10 ft (or maybe a little morewink.gif since it aint gonna fit in the car anyway, why not get a few more inches in length?) can ya do that w/o messing up the action of the rod?