Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
labrax

Daiwa Sealine-X handle modification - suggestions

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I am debating whether or not to modify the durafoam handle on a Diawa Sealine-X rod. I really don't like the foam handle in front of the reel and would like to modify or change it.

I'd prefer a slimmer handle up front and don't mind the rear grip too much, but if the front change goes well the whole grip may be changed. So - I was going to try and sand it down to try and reduce the size, or cut it off and wrap it with cork tape. I do not have a rod lathe - so it would be done by hand. Anyone out there modify a foam grip like this? If you did - did you sand the foam, use a rasp, or just cut it off and wrap it with another material. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Pete

If you don't have a lathe, it's probably easier to chop it off and use cork tape. I've done that conversion on a dozen Sealine-X rods and people seem to be happy with it.

Zim,

Thanks for the response.

How do you handle the transition from the cork to the reel seat? Do you just overwrap some of the cork tape with a couple of layers of thread, so there is a tapered area between reel seat and tape and then finish it with some epoxy?

Do you have any pictures of one of the rods you have done?

Pete

Not a Sealine-X, but all my cork tape rods transition with thread. you can also use shrink tubing or them little marshmallow foam pieces, but that's kinda the greenhorn way out and it don't look that great.

transition.jpg

Great - that is exactly what I was hoping for. I appreciate you taking the time to post the picture and help me out. I hope my rod turns out as nice as the one in the picture.

Pete