Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youngsalt

guides

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

ok guys i've got a couple questions on building my first rod.

It's going to be a 10' St. Premier 3/4-4 oz. matched w/ a live liner 5600l.

So, can you guys give me a recomendation on the number of guides, spacing, and sizes that i should go with. The factory Croix starts w/ a 50.

P.S I'll be using fuji hardloys, do these feet neeed to be filed? they already seem tapered.

Thanx alot.

In my opinion, all guides should be ground down. It will make it alot easier to wrap the thread up the guide. As far as sizes go, I think a 50 is too big. Are you using mono or braid? I suggest getting a 40, 30, 25 and so on, take the rod outside, and test cast it with different size strippers. You may find that you can get away with a 30 or 25 stripper. Good luck.

You should definitely prep the guide feet, even though they look tapered it is not enough to allow the thread to transition from the blank to the guide without causing you fits.

50 or 40 for the first guide is up to you. Braid or mono ? What reel do you have in mind ?

50 is way overkill especially when your looking to put a 5600 on it... start 40 as your biggest if your into the big guide thing, but I know if it was mine I would try a high frame 30 as my initial trial... High frame serves similar function to the old school Jumbo Strippers and reduces unnecessary weight. This is just my opinion and I figured I'd throw it out there. One last comment... don't look to the company for there specs on the size and spacing.... its a good place to start... but their #1 concern is the mighty $$$ and not performance.

Taper the feet, sand smooth and cover exposed metal with a black Sharpie and a coat of color preserver.

For starters try 40HH-30-25-20-16-w/16 tip,tape it up at 8-18-30-44-60 and test cast for stripper placement, then fine tune the rest.

Be careful with trying to lean into a cast with 4oz on that blank, IMO the sweet spot is 2 1/8oz with a max of 3oz

Tight wraps-enjoy wink.gif

Thank you guys, exactly what I was looking for.

I had a feeling that the 50 was too big, thats why I asked.

Braid or mono- not sure yet mono for now braid maybe later.

How does braid affect guide decisions? I know you need a higher quality guide for braid.

Ahoy... Are you the same young salt from the Hatteras boards?

Pay attention to the bottom of the feet. I put a chain saw file in a vice and shape them the same size as where it goes on the blank, then I paint the raw metal with testors. Check out Fujis new concept guide system also.

Ahoy... Are you the same young salt from the Hatteras boards?

Pay attention to the bottom of the feet. I put a chain saw file in a vice and shape them the same size as where it goes on the blank, then I paint the raw metal with testors. Check out Fujis new concept guide system also.

No, I'm from CT.