Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

Butt Length for Rainshadow 1087

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Getting ready to build my first 9 footer and wanted to get some input on what length butt you guys are using for these rods. I was thinking of starting at 16" - 18" from butt to bottom of reel seat.

John, I built a 1087 this fall, and I think I had about 24 or so inches to the reel seat center. I did it in conventional, so I'm not sure if spinning would be any different. It's out in the garage if you want an exact measurement, although if you do, it will have to wait a few days since I've got the flu in a bad way.

Depends on what you like which is somewhat related to how big you are. In general , spinner butt lengths are shorter than conventional butt lengths. For a 9 foot spinner for someone of normal size on a rod used from the shore , I would say 22 to the reel stem is a good middle of the road length.

John E

Hi,

This is how I determine where the reel seat goes for my customers. We are looking for the proper arm extension in order to get maximun casting distance. This is just one item that generates maximum casting distance.

I have the person hold the blank in one hand, parallel to the ground, and slide the butt end into the arm pit till it stops. I mark or mask tape each end of the hand on the blank. This is where the reel seat is installed.

If the reel seat is too far up the blank you might jab your stomach on follow thru. If the distance from butt end to the reel seat is too close you loose power when casting, not sufficient arm extension. Both conditions will cost you distance.

Only once have I had a customer come back and ask to have the butt shortened. This was due to a special area he fished. The original setting was fine when he worked the open beach.

After using this method and having marked the reel seat area do some test swings. Try swinging the blank at the proper reel hand location, also at a shortened location and at a lengthened distance. I think you will find where you marked for the reel seat will be the most comfortably and natural casting location.

Have fun crafting your new custom.

Capt Neil Faulkner

I built a Sabre 1087 I think it's simular to the Rainshadow.I tape my reel on it's 21 1/2" from the butt.The way I determine reel placement on a surfrod is to measure the distance between my thumbs with my arms at my side.In other words the reel is placed at shoulder width.If I were you I'd try all methods mentioned in this post & see which one works best for you.P.S.,your gonna love that rod , very versitile.

John,

can you wait til Our Wednesday Meeting next week? cause, it seems like everyone here likes a longer butt section. I know weve talked about this, but I really like a much shorter butt section on smaller rods.. you can cast MUCH better with a shorter butt section. With a lighter rod, you dont need as much strength the generate a lot of power. you can Ask Vito and Nick about that. Ive shortened all my rods by as much as 5 inchs.. prolly 2-3 for a 9 fter. but upto 5 on a 132 1M.

bring it Wed and we'll measure it out for you.

Bc

bc,

I'll bring the 1087 and the 1M to the meeting to go over the layouts. I've got plenty of time since I haven't even figured out the color schemes yet. Thinking of going stealth (black over black with silver trim bands) on both.

I definitely want to move the reel seat back on the 1M. Right now it's around 24" from the butt to bottom of the reel seat. It's good for the "mega" stuff but that's about it. You and Fred consistently out cast me with basically the same set ups with the exception of the reel seat position. It's something that I'm definitely doing during the rebuild.