Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed J

I'm confused, action help.

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I thought I had things pretty much under control when it comes to rod action. Now it seems I've had a curve ball thrown at me when it comes to fly rod blank actions.

Long story short:

Gonna ask Santa for a 10' 3 piece 7wt. to be used form the dicksled & some deep wading. Lookin for a med to fast or fast action blank. Also trying to keep the cost down (60 to 80 bux).

I emailed the place I've been buying stuff from, they have given me great service since I stopped buying from that place in Fla...... that hole if you will that I don't care for any more.

Anyway, I asked about a Rainshadow IF1007-3. asked what kind of action it has and the reply I got was "Moderate/fast to fast is the same thing as medium.".

I though fly rods went: slow, moderate, fast. Then some tweeners like slow/mod & mod/ fast.

Could someone help me out here? Also a recommendation on a blank I'm looking for would help too smile.gif .

Thanks.

Its like a steak. You can get rare , medium or well done. But some people order medium /rare....its in between rare and medium. so medium/ fast is not fast or very fast , its a little fast like between medium and fast. Got it???? smile.gif

Medium is an action term. some rate their rods as slow , moderate , medium fast , fast and extra fast. In fact the term slow is seldom seen any more. i guess it must sound bad or something. The term extra fast is seen a lot now. I guess do to the higher modulus materials and the trend of many manufacturers towards rods with lots of taper.

Honestly Ed, find a fly fishing site and see what they recommend. Tell them exactly what you are looking to do, possibly even tell them what you use now (even in a different weight) and see if they can give you something close.

As for action terms. I associate Medium as Medium power. MH = Medium heavy. Mod/Fast, I take as the rod bends halfway down teh blank.

Slow action is very popular. Bamboo, very light line fly rods for small streams, I believe Lami's 9 piece BRush creek rod made from honey glass to mimic Bamboo is rated slow action. I'm not 100% sure, I don't do fly rods.

Salt,

Which manufacturer uses "medium" as an action? Sometimes you'll hear people say "I like a medium action boat rod" what the really mean is a medium power rod. This is why Ed is confused. To make things more confusing, when classifying fly rods, some companies will use "taper" (like Loomis)instead of "action" and call it medium. What's that supposed to mean?

"Medium" is often interchangeable with "Moderate" when used to describe action. Moderate is probably a better term, but we know what' s meant, usually.

Many fishermen mistake action and power, that's for sure. There are all sorts of guys using the term "action" in odd ways.

The only actual definition for the term "action" as it applies to fishing rods is as follows:

Fast - Rod initially flexes mostly in the upper 1/3rd.

Moderate - Rod initially flexes mostly in the upper 1/2.

Sow - Rod initially flexes over its entire length.

Rod taper (difference between butt and tip power) accounts for "action" although the flag pattern and the varying wall thickness along a blank also contributes.

So you've got 3 points of resolution, but you can get 5 if you want to add some mid-points such as Moderate/Fast and Slow/Moderate. The steak analogy was a good one.

With the Common Cents System, you have 90 points of resolution for "action."

(If you really want to confuse somebody, have them attend a fly rod club meeting and listen to the guys talk about rod action. Some of them will be happy to inform you that their new premium fly rod has a "traditional proprietary multi-modulus action," or a "formulated response action," Impressive terms, but they can't tell you what they mean nor point you to where such an action is defined or quantified.)