Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capt Neil

Purglas vs Breakaway blanks

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone fish both the Purglas PSFB 400-3 and the Breakaway GSB 1508?

This is a follow up to the 13'6" thread.

Both blanks sound great. The way the Purglas is made from one blank interested me. The few posts I saw on the Hatteras board sounded impressive. I am more familiar with you casters on this site and I value the wealth of experience you possess.

Please make my task easier by posting you appraisals of htese 2 blanks made into rods.

Thanks as always,

Capt neil Faulkner

Hi Capt.

The 1508 and the 400-3 are not even close in comparison. The closest breakaway would be the 1509 in performance. The 1508 is much softer than the 400. Both rods feel completely different from one another. In my opinion the 400 is a much faster rod. With extremely fast recovery. It really bites into the lead as you bring the rod around and loads very fast. The Breakaway handles the heavy weights without batting an eye but maintains that nice through action feel to it. The Breakaway loads well and it's forgiving when timing is an issue. It has good recovery and is easy to cast. Both the Breakaway and Purglas rods are good choices for Pendulum work on the beach. Both will work well with many casting styles. Most of the guys down south opt to cast the 1509 in 8Nbait casting competitions. Purglas rods are not that common here on the East Coast, but are gaining popularity. They are quite common in Southern CA. And are certainly well known throughout the world. I rank Purglas as being in what I believe to be one of the Top 5-Rod Makers in the world. Regards Big Dave

can't speak to that particular blank (400-3) but have casted most of the breakaways and the 400-1 purglas...

Dave is dead on (as normal)... both are excellent casters but the purglas is a much faster action....

just realized i added absolutely nothing with this post.. sorry.

------------------

I may be small... But I'm slow!!

Hi,

This is an update to my question.

The customer chose the All Star BGSB 1508-2. He wanted it left the full length of 13' 2" rather than cut it back to 12'6".

I just received an email from him and I will share the part concerning his new custom surf rod.

He has not had much time to surf fish yet and has not caught a big fish.

....it casts like a dream.You were right about the power. I have even had to change the way I throw and I get about 12 to 15 more yards(I casted both my old and new rods on the beach to see the difference). I especially like the larger ring in the tip top.I no longer have to worry getting the barrel swivel caught. It is easy to handle. Holding it for 3-4 hours is not nearly as strenous as before.

So far I must admit it was worth every penny!.................

Now all he needs is a 40# plus striper.

Thanks also for all the private msgs I received back during the design stage.

Capt Neil

Dave is dead on! I have fished both and the Purglas 400-3 is stronger than the 1508 all-star, but not by much. Weight is very similar, the primary differences are this:

1.The All-star has a much smaller butt diameter than the PurGlas.

2.The PurGlas breaks down into two equal pieces and is easier to transport.

Most customers would be equally as pleased with either rod in most cases.

FYI. Mark Edwards set a new spinning rod U.S distance record this summer with the 1508. I think it was somewhere around 758 feet. He may have used a competition butt.

Tom

Hi Guys,

I use the # 20 ring in the tip tops so that when fishing at night the swivel will go thru the top and he will hear it. It will not get stuck as he is winding. It is a ceranic carbide ring and takes a beating.

The swivel is placed outside the tip top before casting.

Sorry for the confusion.

Capt Neil