Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishtrek

Fenwick Gold

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Al, It seems that I posted this on the wrong part of the board before. My question was

I have been seeing a number of posts refering to the Lamniglass blanks. Within the last two years I have been able to obtain the old Fenwick Gold series blanks (GSB series. This series was from the early to mid 70's. Two questions; Is this series from the same manufacture? When ever I talk to some of the Old Salts, they say they would gladly trade & with this series I have one of the best. icon20.gifonfused: icon20.gifonfused: Are they really that great for the casting or just that they can take alot of punishment? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The original Fenwick blanks were "top of the line". I still have several in the tuna and live bait series that I have kept over the years.

Please give me more specifics on the blank you have and I will try to provide more info.

Al

Fenwick made some yellow E-glass blanks that look identical to the classic yellow Lamis. They were made when "Fenwick was Fenwick" and all of their blanks were individually laid in the US. I have an old one in the rafters of the family cottage in Plymouth, chromed brass reel seat and all. They were tough, durable blanks. As far as I know, they had the standard Fenwick "SU" prefix ahead of the blank number. Not sure what the blank number is on mine, I bought it used for $10 from a guy who was retiring and moving out west. It's a stiff blank, and it has been cut from the tip.

Fenwick also made S-glass blanks--they called their version of S-glass "Fenglass". These blanks were mostly white or brown in color. I have a couple, an SU-1267 and an SU 1389.