Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Cork Rings

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I tried this once before, will try again.

How many people use Cork rings for their rods. Not Pre-formed, just regular rings glued together and shaped? I have wasted enough money on Pre-formed, and I need to get rings. I would like to place a bulk order for high quality rings, but I don't need 1,000 rings.

Is there any interest in this, or am I gonna have a wine bottling factory calling my soon?

Billy,

I'd be interested in a bit of that order, so long as you are cool with sending it back if we get junk. But, I'm pretty sure you'd send it back before I even got to b**ch about it smile.gif

Call me!

CD

I'm still at work, I ain't calling. lol. I know getting high quality cork is a shot in the dark, most of it is junk, but I have seen too many picures of cork on other people's rods which absolutely blows anything I have away. I don't mind on my rods, but I don't think it's right to charge other people for cork and put basically either crap rings or Pre-formed crap on their rods. I'm embarassed when I tell them how much it has to cost to put it on there. I'll just charge more and put the best on there.

Not for nothing, that is what all custom rodbuilders charging top dollar should do.

When you look at the Rod Photo Page at Rodbuilding, I KNOW there are some guys who get high quality cork. It's just a matter of finding their source. Ordering more will not ensure I get better cork, but it may allow me enough of a discount to get a bulk rate - thus driving the price down enough so it is semi-affordable.

It's worth a shot, I hate seeing fly rod grips with basically no flaws, I know REC sells cork at $2 a ring, and it's supposed to be good quality. Pace has bulk cork, and there are a couple of others.

I'm not going to pay top dollar and settle for junk. I am also aware that high grade cork is not as good "as it used to be" (not that I know what it used to be) But if i can get the right price on the best cork that is available, I will be satisfied.

It seems to be hit or miss. I once got three preformed grips for fly rods that were perfect. I also have gotten some preformed grips for surfrods that were disappointing.

Mudhole sometimes has rings they offer but it seems like you have to check the site every day cause once they get some , the better quality sells out fast.

I've seen some guys ruin good cork by going in with too agressive a tool for the initial shaping. They rip out pieces and the imperfections don't come out with finished sanding cause the missing chunks from the initial forming with a rasp or course grip sandpaper are too deep. Anyway , its something to look out for.

I use cork tape 95% of the time so I'm not in the market for rings. Good luck finding what you want.

It's usually miss. I'm not expecting to get rings which are completely flawless, they are not available, but I can't keep using rings which have 7+ pits per ring, and paying either $14 for a Pre-formed section, or $60 for 100 rings.

As for sanding - I will assume most guys willing to spend $$$ on high quality rings, will know how to sand them properly. I'm amazed at some of the horror stories I hear about with people butchering rods. Geez, it just ain't that hard.

So far:

Dennis

Billy40

CaynonDiver

Gad

Oz

TKFJR

Too catch fish

And not ErikT

This may take a while, but I will keep you fellows posted as I get some more info. Does anyone have access to a drill press, in case I can only get unbored rings (my preference anyway)