Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Fish Eyes in Finish

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Argh!!!! The Flexcoat finish on my perigee dried with what I believe are called "fish eyes" (small, round craters!!!) What happened and what do I do to correct the problem? Everything else came out great and I hate to have the rod spoiled by these cursed blemishes. Thanks

Paul

Paul,

Fisheyes are caused by contamination from either the threads, mixing cup or brush. To fix the problem here is what to do.

Thoroughly clean the area with iso alcohol and a lintfree cloth. Repeat twice.

Apply two thin coats of finish to the entire area where you have the fisheye. Apply each coat of finish and then squeeze out the brush and wick off the excess finish. Wait 24 hours between each coat.

After the two thin coats have been applied wait 48 hours to allow the finish to cure. Then gently sand the entire area smooth with 600 grit paper, first dry then wet sand.

Thoroughly clean the area twice with iso alcohol, let dry and then apply a final coat of finish. Do not wick off any excess finish. After applying the finish brush it lengthwise to level off the finish. Then, using an alcohol lamp, gently warm the applied finish to remove any remaining bubbles. Let it turn overnight to dry.

Al, Thank you for the thoughtful and lengthy reply. I have a feeling the contaminant came from the medical syringes I used to measure the flexcoat. I foolishly thought that "brand-new" sealed syringes would be contaminant free. After reading your reply, I checked and found that they may well have contained a "lubricant" that was applied to the plunger. Live and learn - too bad this was such a hard lesson. How do you measure you mix and measure your flexcoat?

Again thanks, this board is fantastic - always a fast answer to puzzling questions.

Paul

What do you do with the syringes after your done? Toss them or rinse them with alcohol? Also, how important is the alcohol flame? Can you use a butane lighter? Don't worry, there will be more dummy questions to follow.

I know alot of guys like the syringes but I found that the mixing cups sold at rod building suppliers work best for me..wipe everything clean with alcohol pour in the right amount of each mix it in the cup mix it once its mixed pour it out onto aluminum foil to extend the life of the epoxy mix it alittle more then just throw the cup and foil away when I'm done..Hope this helps..

------------------

SOL#2002

Scott,

Once you have used the syringes just wipe the outside of them with a paper towel moistened with iso alcohol and store them separately in a ziplock bag until the next time you use them. Do this each time you use them and they will last indefinitely.

A butane lighter is a no,no. It will leave soot on the wraps. You need to use an alcohol lamp that burns cleanly. Check you PM's.

Al

Try driling a hole the same size as the tip of your syringes into the cap of your resin & hardener. Glue them into the hole with some 5 min epoxy and you're all set. No clean up, no mess. Simply refill the bottles as needed.