Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walt lysack

newbie needs help with guide selection please...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hello

I have a Shimano Alivio 12 foot rod. I believe it is a catfish rod (fiberglass) with bait cast guides. I was thinking of converting it into a "surf spinning rod" by putting on the following guides:

40HH, 30H, 25H, 25M, 20M and a #20 ring tip.

I have a Quantum Blue Runner spinning reel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am a prairie flatlander and went surf fishing for the first time north of Puerto Vallarta last February...had the time of my life!!...and I want to do it again

Welcome Walt,

That is kind of a strange guide set from Fuji in that the heights are not progressive in the way you might think. If you measure from the rod to the bottom of the ring the 25H is higher than the 30H and the 20M is higher than the 25M. A logical progression based on guide height would be 40HH 25H 20M 16L and regular 16's (BSVLG) to the tip.

40HH 30H 25M 16L etc also works based again on guide height off the blank.

Instead of the 16L you could use the BSVLG 20 and continue with a few more to the tip if you want to stay at 20.

I don't know the blank but you would probably be best off with more than five guides on a 12 foot fiberglas rod. Do a static load test on the rod to determine the best guide spacing and number.

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Steve

Why not BSVLG's 50,40,30,20,16 16 tip??? Very nice prgoression for a 12 ft rod and also not too big or small for a bluerunner reel...

I personally do not like the High Frame guides, but I guess Im more of a tradionalist...

Steve is right on the money if you want to use high frames tho..

Good luck with it

BC

Many thanks to both of you for your considerate advice. I really appreciate it because at this stage, I really don't know the difference between a 40HH and a railroad...

I'm reading all relevant previous posts and the rodbuilding section in McClure's Fishing Encyclopedia.

Recently rewrapped an old 11ft Lami of mine, was BSVLG 50-40-30-25-20 w/20tip, rewrapped with

40HH-30-25-20-16 still 20tip, rod has a more responsive feel with the lighter guides near the tip, think it casts a tad farther too...some food for thought.

biggrin.gif

One of these days, Ill build a rod with the High frames, I owe it to myself to at least check them out. I just like the BSVLG's theyve been good to me, they are old school, but they work for me...

BC

I like the high frame guides. They keep the line from slapping the rod which is very important when using a reel that sits tight to the rod like a VS.

BC, if you want to make some casts, let me know.

Walt , the alivio is a low end rod and probably not worth the effort to rewrap as a spinner . My recommendation would be to spool you quantum with braid and fish the rod as is , the smaller guides on a conventional aren't much of a problem when used with a spinning reel and braided line

I can't thank you all enough for your considerate replies. It's impossible to get local answers on the prairies. I ordered the guides that Big Country suggested from Cabela's

as well as some braided line. I'll try the braid out first on my pond and measure how far it casts. Then, I'll try the new guides since I have nothing to lose. I was duped into buying this rod as "a good surf rod" last winter by a local tackle shop. Meanwhile I have to wait for 3 weeks until my new line and guides clear the customs outfit here...

Thanks again!