Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newsjeff

RS1266 or 1267

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a rod to throw metal and plugs. I don't have the money for a Ron Arra right now. So, I narrowed it down to either the Rainshadow 1266 or 1267. It would be wrapped conventional.

The rod will be mostly used on the Virginia and North Carolina Outer Banks.

However, I get invited to fish Block Island and Montauk every Fall. This year I just might make the drive.

Can someone tell me which would do better throwing jigs/plugs/metal up RI and LI way?

Don't know about the 1267, but I love my 1266!

6500 CS Rocket and 3oz is sweet. It will throw more, but 2-4 seems like the best range. Light, easy to throw alot. Trigger grip.

Right now I'm leaning toward the 1267. It just seems like a better tool for pulling a big striper out of a strong current.

Maybe pair it with an Abu 6500.

Thanks, Dave.

I think I'm gonna have my hands full fishing up North. The only time I fish on rocks is the Oregon Inlet jetty. rolleyes.gif

I just found out I can get the Rainshadow 1387 blank for the same price as the 1267. Is it true that the 1267 has more parabolic action?

And again, which rod would you guys up North prefer on RI and LI?

Sorry for all the questions.

Jeff I like both of those blanks a lot. I do think the 1387 is a bit faster stick than the 1267 but both cast and handle big bottle plugs very well. I give the distance edge to the 1387 for obvious reasons but thats not to say that the 1267 put a cast to where you need it. Where I fish, (CCC) at times a pretty impressive cast is needed to hit breaking fish, I am capable in doing it with the 1267 most of the time. Both rods fight fish fish deep into the rod. and have plenty of mid-section power to put pressure on the fish. I guess If you were going to be plugging for extended periods of time, I would give the edge to the 1267. If taking a break once and a while is not a problem? for the areas that your fishing I think 1387 is a hard stick to beat.

BTW That Oregon Inlet is something to behold I really have enjoyed the times I have fished there. Its right up there with a couple of my favorite sopts to fish on the OBX.

Thanks again, Dave.

Yes, the OI is a great place to fish. Either side of the Bonner Brige can produce fish. If you don't mind the walk, the jetty is a great place to catch. Both drum and stripers.

Don't tell anyone, but you'll find lots of locals drum fishing the jetty each Spring. Shhhh.

I think I'll get the 1267. I can use that rod on the Outer Banks as well as for throwing artificials in the Bay. Most of the places where I fish the Bay aren't spots to throw lures with a 11'6" rod. And it does wear ya out after a while.

Thanks for all the help.