Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike c

surf rods

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

hi AL,Looking for 2 blanks 1 eleven foot graphite for throwing live eels off the surf set up as a spinner.# 2 intrested in the lami tri flex series 9 to 10 foot set up conventional for tossing rigged eels in the surf.Open for suggestions thanks Mike.

Mike,

For the 11 foot eel spin stick you have alot of blanks to choose from. Two favorites of the SOL members are the Lami GSB1321L and the Arra XRA1321.

The Lami Triflex are new and I am not familiar with their surf models yet. I am sure other SOL members will post some recommendations.

Al

I don't know what sized eels you use. I like big RI eels , not them Cape Cod shoestrings! smile.gif If you toss bigger eels like thick like your thumb or forefinger , I would look at the Arra 1322. A great 10.5 foot two piece rod for eeling is the Allstar 1265/2.

I haven't built on a Triflex yet but Tim had one at the Canal in June and they definitely have an eel friendly action. You could however really crank on some good sized rigged eels with an Arra 1205. Just about perfect In my opinion. Maybe a little too much rod for live eels (1204 is nice for that) but just right for rigged eels.

Another very interesting long rod for live or rigged eels is the Lami GSH138-2MH. Its a long heavier steelhead rod blank. MH as a steelhead rod but what I would call moderate for a surfe rod and very forgiving as far as not ripping eels off.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 08-22-2002).]

The XRA 1322 makes a great eel rod. Mine is conventional, and it balances perfectly with an Abu 7000. Very versatile blank and the 1-5 oz casting weight rating is extremely accurate. The GSB 132 1L is a few dollars cheaper and another fine choice.

ONE other you mite consider:Batson[rainshadow],,,,,1208...live eels or the 1209 for rigged eels,,,very nice blanks for very little $.......whatta mean shoestring eels. Saltheart you must have been fishin with the wrong guy's. glad ta hear your feelin better.