Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DANe

Cork rings gluing tip - Teflon Tape

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I just finished gluing cork rings with 2 ton epoxy. I used a threaded rod with wing nuts and fender washers to apply the pressure. I start by putting on the wing nut then washer. Covered the rest of the rod with Teflon tape overlapping all the way up to the top. Glue is applied on the cork rings slid on the rod. After the last ring I unwrapped the glue coated Teflon tape to the top of the last ring and put the fender washer and wing nut on. Tighten till a little glue seeps out and let set overnight. The next day a hammer and dowel pushed the treaded out with no sticking.

DANe,

Thnaks for the tip. You can also coat the threaded rod with parrafin wax instead of the teflon tape and get the same results.

Rough shape and sand the grip before taking it off the threaded rod. Ream the grip and glue onto the blank. Then do your final sanding with 600 grit paper on the blank.

Al

Great trick, and thanks a lot for that one! I've always scrubbed a block of parafin over the threads to get them good and loaded up, to resist the squeeze-out adhering, but I like your idea much better.

Thanks again smile.gif

Hey Guys?

Doesn't anyone ream and glue the rings to the blank and then do their shaping on the rod itself anymore??? I am fraidy-scared of loosing the center with tapered reamers.

Prefessa, I fit the rings, one at a time, carefully keeping each one centered, but then glue up the stack off of the blank. A little touch-up reaming will then re-establish the fit. Personally, I do it this way so that I can shape and fine sand the grip on a rigid, true-running mandrel on my wood turning lathe. I've got a Renzetti rod wrapping lathe in a fine state of tune, but I still get a little more whip, vibration and run-out than I'd like when doing the shaping work right on the blank. Guess having the option of the two lathes spoils me a little but I'm pretty used to that setup now.

Hi Bill!

Man I must like doin' things the hard way! I ream each ring, glue to the blank, then do the initial shaping rotating the rod by hand. Once I get to medium paper(120 grit) I start using my power wrapper till I get to 600 wet sand. By that time I am only finish sanding the grip and a little whip will not give any noticeable irregularities. Not the best way, but the end result is pretty sweet!