Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tidemaster

Batson Rainshadow

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I think they're both composite. According to the Batson website, both the SW and SU line are made from their RX-7 graphite, which is a composite.

Thw SW and SU do have different tapers. As a comparison, for the SW think Sabre or Pac Bay for comparable tapers, and for the SU, think All Star.

thanks, next question,which would be a better choice for tossing polaris style poppers,bucktails,and metal lipped swimmers to 2oz- 2.5 oz.wrapped conv.would the lami 108 1L fit the bill?

The SW 1088 is a very good all around rod. The SU 1088 has a little more beef to it. The SU won't throw smaller stuff as well as the SW.

It really depends on what your low range is. If you're going to throw wood to 2-1/2 or eels, either 1088 will do the job, or the GSB 108 1M. If you're going to throw small plastic lures like Bombers or Mega Baits in addition to wood to 2-1/2, the SW 1088 or the SU 1087 would be better, as well as the 108 1L.

The other difference, and it's hardly noticeable, is that the SW 108s are actually 8'10" long, whereas the SU 108s are a full 9'.

ditch -

ditch jigger wrote

Thw SW and SU do have different tapers. As a comparison, for the SW think Sabre or Pac Bay for comparable tapers, and for the SU, think All Star.

how do you mean different ? the sw is a slower taper than the su ? how do the rods you mention differ in taper speed ?

thanks .

SU1087 sweet spot seems to be 1.5-2 oz. Probably closer to 2 oz. A consistant diet of 3 oz might be stressing it a little. No way it throws 4 oz, don't believe its rating (1-4 oz). On the low end I would say it is good with a bomber (1 oz), but the slightly lower rating of the SW1087 might make it a better option for bombers (I will let you know when I get it wrapped up). Hope that helps.

Yeah, the SW has a more parabolic--slower--taper, even tho both are described in the catalog as "moderate/fast" tapers. At least in the 1088 models. It's not that big a difference, as the SU isn't a lightning fast taper. They are virtually identical to the All Star GSW line of blanks.

Bill--then you need to correct the info on your website wink.gif

RX 7--The foundation for this graphite is "Intermediate Modulus/High Strain Rate" fiber (43 million) combined with a light fiberglass scrim. Bonded together with a space age resin system, this is a workhorse material. Blanks produced with this material offer superb strength, sensitivity and light weight, at very low cost.

sorry guys,in my second post the blanks i was considering were the B/R 1207 or the Lami Gsb 120 1L not a 9' rod.low end would be 1oz. plastics.sorry for the confusion.thanks for your input.

Ditch Jigger, the fiberglass scrim doesn't make the material a composite. Scrim is used to allow the material to be wrapped on a mandrel, it also gives hoop strength. All of the strength fibers are graphite. Fiberglass scrim is a much finer fiber than normal fiberglass that is used in all glass or composite blanks.