Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thumb-Burner

when are single foot guides appropriate?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm not a builder, but like to understand what i'm asking for when i have a rod built...

is there a general rule of when single foot guides become unacceptable on a spinning rod? is the determining factor the weight to be casted, the fish to be caught, the length of the rod or what?

thanks for any thoughts..

Single feet guides are strong enough for any fishing situation, especially when a locking wrap is used. The only down side to single foot guides is that they don't stand up to abuse by the fisherman as well. I've used single foot guides on tuna rods with no problems, and I use them on lots of surf spinners. They are fine but you have to take care of them.

Single foot on a tuna rod?

Yeah me too, but not the spinning style or fly guides.

Billy, what's the # of those Fuji's we are using for the spiral stuff? Forgive my forgetfulness, but I'm away from my home so I can't check my data! redface.gif

As stated above when properly wrapped and the rod is properly handled they can be fine even when playing larger fish, but IMO they're just to prone to bending and breaking when handled roughly for me to consider using them on anything other than fly rods and light tackle spinners. I'm tough on my gear and if I wrapped my surf rods with em no doubt after a weekend fishing in Montauk they would have to be rewrapped. The weight savings is too negligible and not even noticeable enough on a heavy rod to accept the durability tradeoff... wink.gif

For Tuna you probably used LDBSG's, or BLBLG's. These are guides in the "U" category as far ass strength goes - they are quite heavy & I think rated for "60#".

I love single foots where practical - rods I know I won't beat to death I'll stick UN's on there. Surf rods, I have used the high frame 1 footers (Y's)and hate them, and I rarely fish the surf. I'm an admitted hack, and the damn line tangles around them worse than a fly line gets tangled in a tree.

I do like the Y's on my shorter FW spinners, but even then I only use it for the stripper & switch to UN's. UNs are no good on a surf rod, in case you're wondering.

Simple rule of thumb I use: if the rod flexes a lot (for example, light weight spinner or tip section of a heavier rod), use single foot. or where one worries about the weight of a guide may change the action of the rod, use single foot. For broom stick, use double foot.

Single foot guide actually can be stronger than double foot under some circumstances since it flexes and the flexible leg can absorb the force. Double footed guide is rigid and the impact force is either transmitted to the ring (causing it to pop out) or to the feet (causing cracks)