Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander1

Rainshadow 1088 or 1087

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Trying to decide which would be a better rod for my use. I like to throw from 5" Red Fins to 3 oz Needles and Darters and was wondering if the 1088 would be too stiff for the little stuff. I fish the smaller size 16A Bombers, small Megas more than the bigger lures. So lets say 75% of my fishing is done from flat sandy beaches tossing lures from 5/8 to 2 1/2. I know that Lami makes both the 1084 and 1083 but I like a composite rod more, so thats why Rainshadow is the choice. The 1088 is rated 1-4 oz. and the 1087 is rated 3/4 to 3 oz. Does anyone have any experience tossing the lighter stuff with the 1088? Seems like the 1087 is a good rod for me but going by rod ratings out of a book isn't exactly a field test. Any help is appreciated.

I was in the same dilemma this time last year.

I finally went and fondled both blanks. biggrin.gif

I chose the 1087 and never looked back. It seemd to be a better match for the light stuff such as the beloved redfins and bomber. I can still lean into a wooden plug, 3 - 3 1/2 oz is probably the top end.

I think the 1088 may be a little too much blank for the the 5" plugs.

High,

the 1087 will handle the upper end.. not greatly I might add... the weight is no problem (i mean the rod aint gonna snap), however, with the composite-ness of that rod, control with higher weights isnt so great. If the majority of your time is light stuff to medium stuff 1087 is your choice and dont look back. if your medium heavy to heavy most of the time, go 1088.

or you could have them both, they aint that expensive. LOL

BC