Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeStaten

Which blank???

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm kicking around the idea of building a light casting rod for an Abu 6500. Never built a rod before and was wondering whose blank you would use. I'm thinking St Croix SCIII, Loomis GL3 or one of the Lami's. I'll use it for light salt and heavy freshwater. Looking for a 7' or 7'6" one piece rated for 10-20lb line and a fast action. Any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the St Croix SCIII. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Mike,

There are so many great blanks to choose from. But first I need you to answer some questions:

- Mono or spectra line?

- Lure weight range?

- primarily casting from jetty, beach or

boat?

- Price range of blank?

Al

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'll be using this rod primarily for casting lures in the 3/8-1 oz. range. I'll be using braid in the salt and mono in fresh water. The rod will be an all around light tackle rod for schoolies, fluke(boat) and some heavy freshwater(pike/muskie). I don't want to spend much more than $100 for the blank. Any tips on where to buy the blank and materials? Thanks for any info. Mike

Mike,

There lots of great blanks to consider given your price range. I will check my catalogs when I get home tonight and give you a short list of blanks to consider.

Al

Al, I was thinking about the L904 as well. The L844 GL2 is 6 inches shorter and rated for the same lure/line weight as the L904. What about the Lami XC78MH? I think that as well as the IM700 78MH would fit the bill for light salt heavy freshwater as well - fot a 7 footer.

My 2 cents, Billy

[This message has been edited by Billy 40 (edited 03-22-2001).]

Billy,

Mike is looking for a 7.5-8 foot casting rod for 1/4-1 ounce. While the blanks you pick have the same lure weight range, they lack the length necessary for any long casting.

I have fished with the blanks you chose and they are excellent for casting bucktails at short range, jigging for fluke and casting Deadly Dicks for albies and bones.

Al