Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

How do I get started in rod building?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Any special reference books that you'd recommend to get my interests up and increase my knowledge (What knowledge?) of rod building - how to, types of rods, things to consider, etc?

Any reference to get me started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sandcrab

------------------

"Life in the high surf is a dangerous drug that will wake you from your deams in the deep night sweating, fearing that someone is out there on some lonely beach doing it without you"

Frank Daignault

"The Trophy Striper"

SC,

There are two books on rodbuilding that I would get, "Advanced Rodbuilding" by Dale Clemens and "Basic Rodbuilding" by Tom Kirkrman. Also, there are several rodbuilding boards in addition to this: www.rodguild.com www.rodbuilding.org www.rodcrafters.org

As far as rods to consider, that's a heart of custom rod building, choosing the right blank for the fisherman and the application. Too bad they do not teach that in the above books. It's an art acquired over many years. This board is a great source of info on that subject.

Good luck in entering the craft.

Al

Al,

Thanks for the insight. I will pick up the books and get started reading. I have enjoyed fishing since I was a kid so I guess the next logical step would be to make my own rods the way I want.

Good forum! Lots of help here...as with the DELMARVA area I usually post in.

Thanks again

Sandcrab

------------------

"Life in the high surf is a dangerous drug that will wake you from your deams in the deep night sweating, fearing that someone is out there on some lonely beach doing it without you"

Frank Daignault

"The Trophy Striper"

Stop don't do it- all should be warned this is a highly addicitve activity and should not be entered into lightly.

On a serious note you will find very shortly that you can and will build better rods more suited to the task you want to perform and enjoy using them more since they are your own creation. the books and web sites mentioned are excellent, you might pick up the pamphlet on rod building by flexcoat cheap and a good starting point

John

Sandcrab....I purchased both books Al mentioned and I really enjoyed Tom Kirkmans "Rod Building Guide". Very easy to understand and he touches on everything to get you started and then some. I found both at Barnes and Noble online. Good Luck. I am still putting together my rod building station.

AllenC