Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don E

TOG rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Lots of info on this topic everywhere, and one where there are a TON of opinions.

I have a CAlstar 800L trimmed to a 10 tip, one will be trimmed to a 9 tip as the 10 is too stiff for my liking.

Lamiglas CGBT's - regular blanks M or MH - factory comparable 7030 & 7040. TEH MH extended to 7'6 won the yearly boat pool on teh Norma KIII last year (lame plug on my part)

I have an ML which I cut to a 9 or 10 tip & extended to 7'7, and I like it very much. I don't like the MH as it's too stiff for my tastes, but I know most guys who have them love them. The way I cut the ML is similar to the M, which I really got used to an liked a lot.

Lami 1143F - gotta chop it up to your liking - too parabolic for my liking, but do know a couple of guys here used them for quite a few (a dozen maybe) brutes from 10-13.5#'s. THese bend into teh handle, and have a lot of power to yank the fish up off the bottom, but enough cusion to keep them hooked up when the fish digs down.

I'm experimenting with a couple of blanks, which I hope stay in one piece. GUSA 80 Mega Mag for myself, a 79 Mag for someone else - I will put the Mega Mag through some serious abuse this November & December, and I will definately give an honest report (lame plug?) when I've used it a few times.

Best way for you to find the perfect blank for you - is to pull on as many as possible.

DOn - which 8 1/2 GUSA you use for plugs (again?) I'm really, really leery about usign a GUSA for Tog, and I almost expect it's not gonna work. I try and swing everything, and if tht's not possible, then I can't use the rod I want. If you fish on a boat that nets everything, I think the 80 Mega Mag is a kick ass blank to use, but I can tell I'm gonna get a crapload of gried when I call for the net on a 6# fish.

Billy 40, I'm not good at remembering numbers, and the rod is at home...I think it's the 85FX, 1 -3 oz., unbelieveable rod...fast strong ...

GUSA needs an R&D YAM team to go out and abuse these rods....and they needa 10' oven....