Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gil.F

flex coat problem

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

putting flex coat on some wraps I did I measured equal amounts on the first coat, 3cc's of each like they say. but it did not go off, its tacky, then I put a second coat on with a little more hardner in it still get the same results. is it possible that the flex coat went bad?

Most likely it was undermixed. Try again this time fold it into itself rather than wipping it and carefully watch the mixture, it will turn cloudy first then go clear, this is when its time to apply.

Like XBMX said it was most likely under-mixed. Next time mix the two together for 2 minutes, then pour it out on to a piece of heavy foil(those disposable aluminum trays that you make lasagna in work great) and fold with a mixing spatula for another two minutes.

adding extra hardner will never help! flex coat becomes a finish when 50% of each part is mixed, too much hardner or resin is an incorrect mix and the finish will not cure properly.

thanks ralph78 the aluminum tray worked very well, I thought the flex coat went bad or something, this is my 3rd rod with flex coat this one was the only one with problems. again thank you.

Gil.F

I would not disagree with any of the above except for one small area and that is spending perhaps a little too long mixing.

Flex coat does have a reasonable open working time dependant on room temp and humidity but even then I like to get to work as soon as I have blended to the two component parts together. When you first start to mix, the mix will go cloudy and then clear again. This is my que that the mixing process is near done. Also the more you mix the more bubles you can induce.

If you wish to avoid fish eye it is also important that the mixing vessel is clinically clean as should be the blank your brush and any tools that may come into contact before and during the high building operation.

Hope that all is now well.

Mike Oliver