Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
outerbeach

Complex butt wraps...HELP!

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hey there veryone. i have attempted about 10 complex patterns from the clemens rod art book. Each time i ge avout 1/3-1/2 way done the wrap looks so spacey and loose that i start over. How do i "tighhtne these wraps" I have a burnishing tool and push the threads together but they never stay that way. Thanks, Derek

Welcome to the world of complex butt wraps!! Just kidding. Which wraps are you doing? What type of tool are you using to push the threads together? How much tension are you putting on the threads while you wrap?

OK - in general, here's what I do. The first 3-4 passes, I just lay down the threads and try to hit the points I marked off. Then the work starts. I start with the background threads push them together at the 4 crossover points. I will go all the way around the blank 4 times - once for each direction.

Then I work on the inside of the pattern. I still take a pointed metal tool that Clemens sells - careful with it, it will pop threads if it is too sharp, and if you slip can ruin a wrap. Also be extra careful with this tool and metallics (epecially RED!!!!), you may notice it turns silver.

OK - Again, going in 4 directions, I push all the threads together at the crossover points. Look at the final product in the book, and see if you are on your way to achieving that pattern. You will see some threads may have gaps, not form a perfectriangle or square, nor is the time to straighten them out. If you wait too long, it will be very hard to move the first few threads in the pattern - although still possible and neccesary in order to get a nice wrap (in my opinion).

If a wrap takes me 5 hours, I probably spend 2-3 hours packing - depending on how complex the pattern is. The more threads in a pattern, the more complex, dpoubles, quads, all will requires more packing time in order to get a pattern that looks good.

Give me more specifics, and I'll see if I have wrapped the pattern you are having difficulties with, and will tell you exactly what and where you should pack.

Here's a peek at some (pretty much all) of my wraps so far: http://momentoffame.com/more_from_person.html?id=8372

There are 20 photos that show step by step how I construct a simple Star pattern, from start to finish. I did this for one of the guys here, so he had an idea of how I set-up, wrap, and tie off the wrap.

Billy

Thanks Billy. Mns those are soem nice wraps. I'll try those tips and hopefully it eill work out for me! otherwise, i 'll contact you again, you definitely know what you're doin! Thanks, Derek