Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagger

eel stick ..

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I really like the Lami GSB1201l wrapped up spinning. I use braid and I think that the softer action helps with both casting eels and fighting the fish.

I usually fish on the sand or on river mud flats with moderate current and this rod has all of the strength I need.

I wrapped it with the Fuji alconite guides in the concept style and it is very light. Easy to use all night

I am currently building up a Sabre 1088 for eeling and plugging... rated 1-6 ounces... but the tip is light. This is an older black... but Pac Bay makes a PRSC1088 still that is pretty similar to Baston .I'm building mine conventional, but it would make a nice spinning rod as well.

Options abound. I think the 120L would be the plenty versatile, the 120M if you fish bigger water or usually get big snakes. The 1205 somewhere in the middle.

I'll fish the 1204 on the beach and the 1205 with big eels or rocky/current.

For 9' the batson 1088 is probably the best deal, although I would want something heavier for bigger water.

At least that's what I've experienced and read.

-spence

I tried my GSB 120 1M and didn't like it for eels. It was way too stiff, and I couldn't feel the rod load. I ended up slinging a couple of eels off the hook. I ended up using my 132 1L not too bad but a little long although I liked the action. I have a 120 1L that I am going to build. I remember an article from Noreast Saltwater ( couple of years ago) where the author built an eel rod on a 120 1L with a foot off the butt. I am contemplating this

(need to find the article first).

Tony

Good eel sticks I've used.

GSB 120 1L shortened by a foot from the butt.

Original Sabre IGSC 1088 (Batson SW 1088 is virtually identical)

My personal all-time fave---custom conventional built on Loomis SW 108-20 blank. I think the factory SUR 1084S is built on the same blank. With a Calcutta 400, you can fish all night without feeling it, but still have the guts to turn a fish when you need to.

For eels in the Canal---the rod I'd pick is the Lami SB 121 3M, despite the weight. I want something I can lean into without worry.

Thanks guys respect all your opions .. pretty close .. Will do Dave .thanks.. Ditch Jigger ..1213m ?? conventional,,spinning.. what reel you matching up with that ,, I have that conventional,,never crossed my mind as an eel stick .. thanks.

CSB1201M is better that a 1213m. Yes, CSB1201M (Triflex blank) A lot more feel.

I love the 1213m, but not for eeling its to slow and heavy....maybe for huge, huge eels. I think the word would be cumbersome.

[ 11-14-2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Morris ]

I noticed Ditch made refference to the CC Canal on that 121 3m ..different rules in that world .. probably need that to rip fish up the current ..Casting ?? I imagine just getting it out enough to fish rips along the sides .. Thats why I was wondering what reel that was matching up with ?? Ditch ? CS when u get a chance roll me a 1088 will ya ? HappyWave.gif

Back in the day, my go-to Canal eel stick was a 10-1/2' white spiral Lami (not sure of the blank number, bought it already rolled at Murats) and a Penn 704. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a cut-down 1165, whiuch translates into today's 136 3M. It was heavy, but it paid off when you had a big fish on and it turned sideways in a rip. No reason to use anything but the 704 for Ditch eeling, even today.

The 121 3M I have is wrapped conventional. I use it for chunking with a Squidder.

I'd never recommend a 121 3M to fish from open beach. A light 9' stick, like a Batson 1088, is all the gun you'd ever need.

ditch, i use and still recommend that rod for certain applications. when you're in the rocks all the time, a graphite can get nicked up pretty easy. glass rules in many of the areas i fish and the guys i fish with. you need to put the brakes to a fish, you want that nice loading feel when casting, but with that glass power, and you need that 10' length.

the 1201m is a perfect eeling rod. if you can't load it, maybe you are fishing with eels that are too small. i've put many on that rod and some have not used much if anything else but that rod, both spin and cast.

i have the 1201L as a spinner and like it for lighter stuff and pencils. i would like to try and get the 1321L and cut it down to about 10' next.

I fish a loomis 1266 for eels. Its not what most would like. harder to throw them with it cause its such fast action but its soooo sensitive and will handle any fish once hooked.. If I were to not have it , my next choice ,a ssuming RI sized eels , would be an ara 1205. I just don't like the 1204 for the big eels i prefer. the lami 120 1L is also good for eeling as many have mentioned. i think an Allstar 1087 would be good for a less expensive alternative. The sabre 1088 was a good choice but I never see them anymore.