Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quint

Blank advice

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

i am looking to build a spinning rod for the open beach. i would like something in the 11' range. it needs to be able to toss the larger wooden and plastic lures. i will be pairing it up with a 706. what would you suggest? thanks.

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but if you go with graphite, you can't beat the Lamiglas 1321M. I love it.

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

The Kid is right!

For graphite the GSB1321M and glass:

SSB1363M in beautiful S-Glass which makes a nice rod or the old standby SB1363M in honey or black.

Lami is supposed to have a composite out soon so it Todd V is checking in maybe he can add his expertise to the issue!

For the open beach, I think the GSB 132 1L is a better choice. It will still throw the biggest bottle plugs and metal lips. The 1M is for occasions when you need a little bigger gun---rips, very rough surf, structure where you have to put the boots to her right from the get-go.

If you want something light and responsive, like the 132 1L, but with a bit more backbone, look into the "Ron Arra" model XRA 1322 from Lamiglas.

Ditch,

Question for you..What are the major differences in the GSB132-1L vs the GSB120-1L. Other than physical weight and a larger butt dia. all other ratings and tip size are the same. Is it the same almost parabolic action, just a foot longer? I'm looking at my next purchase, and can't decide between the two, or maybe even the SSB136-3M, or the XRA1322 you mention. I will say that the GSB1080-1L I just hade done by fish-stix is simply amazing, and I'll have it at the fling. I'm now looking for something to handle the next step up in payloads, beyond 2oz. Will be spinning, probably use the 704Z w/30lb fireline now living on an (gulp) ugly stick. After fishing all summer with the GSB108-1L, 710Z w/20lb fireline, I can't seem to want to pick up the ugly any more.

See you Sat.

Stu C

Billy,

Different fish-stix. Mine's a local here on LI. All the LI regulars know him or of him. He's been in the fisherman a few times, and does Doc Muller's rods as well. Quality work, qreat to work with, fair price. We spent hours in his front yard wigglin' blanks and test casting before I decided exactly what I wanted. What more can you ask.

Stu C

Thanks Stu. Guess I'm not a Long island regular, huh? That is a great way to sell a rod, and you know exactly what it is you are getting. I don't know about one thing though - how can you feel the blank one day, kniow it is being built, yet have to wait for it to be completed. I'd go nuts!! Through the various stages of construction, I am always playing with my rod (fishing rod!!) bending and pulling it (I said my FISHING rod!!)

Billy

Billy,

I'm always bending and wiggling the rods. Been doing it for along time.

Fishstix - L.I. is John Schauer, excellent builder. The other Fishstix on the Web is Jeff Vadakin from down south, another top notch builder and weaver extraordinaire and very active in the Guild.

See you on Saturday.

Al

Al - I'm looking foward to chatting with you. I'll bring some more stuff I've been working on. For a week, I'm contemplating what colors to wrap on the Impact blank. This is going to be fun.

As you can see by the BM-like volume of my posts on message boards across the country (lol), work is really exciting. Glad to be back.

This is going to be a FUN weekend. Billy