Jerseygofish

Penn 710 reel question

17 posts in this topic

The 710 handle is the same as the 704 i believe. you can get them from Penn now.

This is correct. Lots of guys prefer 704 handles on 710s. If you watch you should be able to get a greenie 704 handle to match your reel for 15-20$.

At least on the Z's the 704 and 710 have considerably different size arms and the seating is very different. The 710 has a pin in the handle that seats in a V-block to lock the handle in. The 704Z and Greenies have the same handel with the square notch that seats the handle in place. Threads don't match to replace thw whole handle.

At least on the Z's the 704 and 710 have considerably different size arms and the seating is very different. The 710 has a pin in the handle that seats in a V-block to lock the handle in. The 704Z and Greenies have the same handel with the square notch that seats the handle in place. Threads don't match to replace thw whole handle.

I just checked mine and the handles swapped easily. I have both in greenie (at least they were before I Penn/stalled them) and the handles threads are the same. they also share the same main gear and so the threads are the same.

Penn step in here and let us know whats what as I have swapped out so many parts I may be wrong here.

I'll check that again tonight.

Here are the part numbers for the main gear from the exploded diags for the 710 Z and 704 Z but there is nothing about the threads.

Model - Penn Style No. -- Order Part No.

710Z - 008 710 -- 1181099

704Z - 008 704 -- 1181097

Unfortunately, I don't have a diagram for the 704 Greenie. I think it's the same as the Z

Kenomikes is correct, i customize penn 704, 706 and just got a 710 that someone snapped the handle in half while shipping (Thanks USPS!). I drill out these reels rebuild them if needed internally and make handles when i can. I think the 706 handle may also fit on there but i know the 704 does i just mocked it up to my 710. You can make a handle, Buy an aftermarket knob and put it on your stock handle, or just leave it stock. the best part of these reels is with a little imagination, ingenuity, creativity and some tools you can accomplish some pretty cool things with them. as far as making a handle you will need a reverse drive tap. just get the thread size correct or it is all for nothing. any questions feel free to let me know.

yes, but the 704 handle hits the bail on the 710. you gotta go bailess....at least thats my experience....but i quickly differ to 7 rivers. look at his avatar